One Star

DB connection password not saved

Hi,
I run Open Data Integration v5.5.1 in x86_64 Debian GNU/Linux in order to import a project from a third party just modifying its connection parameters and I am having a strange issue when changing Metadata/DB Connections: the password seems to be not kept after closing the edit window. As per the "Check" button, the modified connection is initially fine, but after propagating the changes to the jobs and closing the assistant, running the jobs yield an Oracle DB connection error due to wrong credentials. When I edit again the connection parameters it turns out that the password has been changed (presumably to the project's default) as the "Check" button and the number of asterisks in the password field show.
Please can someone guide me to debug this issue?
Thanks in advance,
Antonio 
17 REPLIES
Four Stars

Re: DB connection password not saved

Hi Antonio,
Usually this is not expected, something is missing...Can you try checking without password field or set password field as string... you can get confirmation...
Vaibhav

Hi Antonio,
Do your DB connection password include backslashes?
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
One Star

Hi Antonio,
Do your DB connection password include backslashes?
Best regards
Sabrina

Hi Sabrina,
No, just alphas.
Digging a bit more I found that saving parameters as context keep them right through subsequent edits ("check" button confirms this) but they still fail when running the jobs.
Best regards,
Antonio
One Star

Hi Antonio,
Usually this is not expected, something is missing...Can you try checking without password field or set password field as string... you can get confirmation...
Vaibhav

Hi Vaibhav,
How can I do that? Password is mandatory for that project as it must connect to a remote Oracle server and the field format is hardcoded into the DB connect form, isn't it?
Regards,
Antonio

Hi,
Would you mind checking if your database password contained a period (.)?

Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
One Star

Hi,
As I said before, the password only contains alphanumerics (mix of uppercase/lowercase letters plus digits). No special/"strange" characters.
Regards,
Antonio

Hi,
Does this issue repro on other bulid version? Could you please elaborate your case with an example for your password which contains only alphanumerics (mix of uppercase/lowercase letters plus digits) so that we can make a testing for you.
Best regards
Sabrina
--
One Star

Hi,
By now I can provide you with the two .item connection files (both original and modified) for you to compare. Please notice that for security reasons the server IP, SID and USERNAME have been ofuscated in both files. Nevertheless, the hashed passwords (both default and modified) have been left as they are.
OTOH the failure seems to happen only with "Oracle with SID"-type connections as "MySQL"-type connections save their modified passwords ok. I also tried the Talend version (5.2.0) used by our third-party provider to create the project and the failure also happens there. Creating a brand new "Oracle with SID" connection and editing it afterwards fails too. However, the provider can modify the connection without any issues, using the Windows version of Talend, thus I suspect there must be some kind of correlation between using Linux/OpenJDK to run Talend and this issue (BTW I cleared IcedTea cache to no avail).
Also notice that the SQL_Syntax attribute has been translated to spanish in the modified file. I don't know whether this is relevant or not.
Kind regards,
Antonio
One Star

Hi,
As I said before, the password only contains alphanumerics (mix of uppercase/lowercase letters plus digits). No special/"strange" characters.
Regards,
Antonio

I'm pretty sure that the DB save the password (the number of asterisks is random), I think your credentials are wrong
Can you generate the documentation of your job and check the password ? hehe
To do so (desactive "hide password" in the project settings, right click on your job and click generate doc as HTML)

Then compare your password and check if Talend saved it right Smiley Happy

Hi amla,
You are using Open JDK not Oracle JDK to execute Talend Job?
Best regards
Sabrina
--
One Star

I'm pretty sure that the DB save the password (the number of asterisks is random), I think your credentials are wrong
Can you generate the documentation of your job and check the password ? hehe
To do so (desactive "hide password" in the project settings, right click on your job and click generate doc as HTML)

Then compare your password and check if Talend saved it right Smiley Happy

Hi,
Nice tip. Thank you! Didn't know I could reveal the password. Following your advice it turns out that:

No, the number of asterisks is not random, it matches the number of characters in the passwords.
My credentials aren't wrong as they yield a proper connection when I press "Check" button. Only the password gets mysteriously wrong when I save changes and propagate them to the jobs and only with "Oracle with SID" connections (MySQL connections behave normally).
Following your advice as a conceptual proof I firstly generated a HTML doc from one of the jobs right after importing the project which showed the right default password from my project provider. Then I modified the Oracle-connection password and regenerated the HTML doc, and the password XML entry looks like this:

<column name="Contrase&#241;a" value="&quot;&#28;!&#1;&#65533;h&#27;Dq&#65533;&#65533;1&#65533;&quot;"/>

So as per the strange character codes in the "value" attribute it gets clear the password is getting corrupted somewhere in there as mine has only letters and numbers. And the issue happens right after hitting the form Accept button.
One Star

Hi amla,
You are using Open JDK not Oracle JDK to execute Talend Job?
Best regards
Sabrina

Hi Sabrina,
Yes, but using Oracle JDK makes no difference at all (I'm using it right now after reimporting/reopening the original project and the issue is still there). In fact, since Java 7, Oracle JDK has been built on top of OpenJDK plus some third-party, mainly graphical, pieces. So unless Talend is using some special hashing/cyphering algorithm with the Oracle connection passwords (I said MySQL connections work ok) it shouldn't make any difference, and it doesn't as I'm having the same problem with Oracle JDK.
Best regards,
amla
One Star

This is similar to the problem that I am having here: https://www.talendforge.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=37405
Although, for me, Oracle works (Oracle with service name), and MSSQL does not.
I tried the generate as doc workaround.
When I add the Oracle connection, Generate works fine, and I see the password as expected.
When I add the MSSQL connection, the Generate doc does not work (it outputs the HTML/XML files, but there is nothing in the HTML).  It looks like Talend is not saving the characters correctly, and is putting in garbage.
One Star

Hi gchaisty,
And does your XML file contain a corrupted password?
Regards
One Star

I think you should open a ticket gchaisty or amla Smiley Very Happy
One Star

I think you should open a ticket gchaisty or amla Smiley Very Happy

Where can I do that? According to:
https://support.talend.com/otrs/customer.pl
it seems that I need some credentials different from the ones I'm using in this forum, but no registration form is at sight there.
One Star

Where can I do that? According to:

it seems that I need some credentials different from the ones I'm using in this forum, but no registration form is at sight there.

Nevermind. I found the proper link. Now I reported this issue as #TDI-30227.
Kind regards,
Antonio