One Star

Custom Metadata item - what is needed?

Using the forum and the web I?ve managed to find sufficient information to create a good overview on how to create a custom component. However, very little information is available on creating a new Metadata type. A generic hand crafted metadata item would work. However, I?d like to remove as much manual (read error prone) work as possible. Since the metadata is not based on table level information, this would be cumbersome.
Reading the Forum (all 17 pages) I can find several unanswered questions regarding custom Metadata entries (kind off) and references the SAP and SalesForce Metadata / Connection wizards. Taking a look at the SAP plug-in I can learn a few basics, but not enough to even distil the bare essentials of such a feature.
In order to assess what I?m getting myself into can someone help me answer the following questions:
1. In case I missed it, ask for the obvious: is there a how-to on this subject? If so, where can I find it?
2. Looking through the Talend application folders, I don?t seem to be able to recognize the same folder structure used by SAP plugin for the standard SAP, File and Database wizards. Looking at the Talend source code I see comparable structures but not clearly what is needed where. Is it possible to ?add? Metadata entries without changing the core Talend software?
3. If core changes are required, can I build on top of what the SAP wizard has already done?
If there is anyone with experience in this area with good advice, feel free to share it here. It seems to me like a topic that will be of genuine interest for those with ideas for more advanced custom components.
Thanks in advance for your replies.
Kind regards,
Anne
SAP wizard source code
SAP wizard compiled
Talend FTP Wizard source?
10 REPLIES
Employee

Re: Custom Metadata item - what is needed?

Hi,
Maybe this could help? You can view on the tutorial page some metadata-related tutorials: http://talendforge.org/tutorials/menu.php
Best,
Pcoffre.
One Star

Hi,
Apologies if my post was unclear. However, the tutorials explain how to create a new entry based on existing Metadata types. The questions I posed are about creating a new type entirely.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Kind regards,
Anne
One Star

Hi,
this is really an interesting topic! Have the possibility to add new metadata types (ie. OAuth connections) would really boost plugin possibilities.
any news about this issue?
kind regards,
gabriele - paginegialle.it
One Star

Hi,
I'm also very interested. Any news ?
Regards,
Erouan
One Star

Hi, i am also interest by this topic, because i want to add a metadata type OntoMl (descriptif balise language like XML).
Now i want to if anybody know which plugins i must update (i found the plugin repository but it not all) and which extension i must use if necessary.
Thank you for the answer.
One Star

He there,
this is quite an important topic if the Talend guys are listening.
I'm in the process of writing components for BMC's Remedy AR System, and being able to add metadata components would make it so much more usable. If we could get some hints to get started it would help, we will even assist in creating a tutorial through talend wiki.
Help us help you. Components to these high end grossly expensive enterprise applications would certainly make you much more popular than you already are.
Cheers,
Johan.
One Star

I'm making a little headway in getting this to "work". Still have a long way to go, but here's a link to satisfy curiosity. Anyone willing to jump in and help will be welcome.
http://www.sxsesoftware.com/?p=202
One Star

Hi,
I am also very interested in this topic. I've found a good documentation how to write a custom component. But the only documentation regarding new metadata nodes/wizards was the link above.
Does somebody know where I can find more informations?
Regards,
Bernhard
Five Stars

Any update on this?
Four Stars