One Star

Custom Component not loading into Pallette

I have a strange situation going on, and I'm not even sure where to start looking for a solution.
Talend Open Studio DI is installed on 2 separate machines.
One is Windows Server 2012, the other is Windows Server 2008.
All of our custom components are installed and read from a network folder.  So Talend from both machines reads the custom components from the same location.  There are 28 total custom components.  The folder structure is the same for each:  \Custom Components\tNameOfComponent\
When I open Talend from the 2012 machine, it loads all the components in just fine.
When I open Talend from the 2008 machine, it reads most but not all components.  I've tried to clear the components cache, reviewed to make sure the components are structured correctly, no luck pulling in the missing components.  We followed the same instructions for installing Java and Talend in both systems.  As far as I can tell, paths for the programs and everything else about the install is identical.
Like I said, I don't even know where to start looking for a solution.  If there are any suggestions on some things I can start looking into, I welcome them.
7 REPLIES

Re: Custom Component not loading into Pallette

Hi,
Could you please try to put these missing custom components in Windows Server 2008 computer  and  load them into studio locally to see if it works?
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
One Star

Yes, when I move the components to the Desktop and load them in from there, they come into the workspace.
When I change the location back to my network folder, they are removed again.
In this network folder, I have 31 custom components and 25 or more pull into the project.  But there are a small handful that don't.
I read about "Installing Custom Components" (https://help.talend.com/search/all?query=Installing+a+custom+component&content-lang=en) where it asked about making sure the XML is well-formed.  It is.  This same component from this same location is pulled into a different machine running the same version of Talend without any problems.
My work around for now is that I have manually copied the components into the components/ext/user folder.  I assume that is what the system is doing when I give it a path of the custom components and tell it to Apply.  After manually pasting there, they load into the job just fine and I am able to use them.

Hi,
My work around for now is that I have manually copied the components into the components/ext/user folder.  I assume that is what the system is doing when I give it a path of the custom components and tell it to Apply.  After manually pasting there, they load into the job just fine and I am able to use them.

Thanks for your feedback and share your solution here.
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
Seventeen Stars

Hi, could you please check the <workspace>/.metadata/.log file what happens here?
One Star

Sorry that I let this sit for so long.  I found a work around and then got pulled into other projects.
This has come up again.  My workaround of putting it in components/ex/user isn't working because each time Talend loads, it removes the components.
Same situation as before, I have a folder with 30 custom components.  25 load into the program, but there are a handful that don't.  I've checked the components and the files are wellformed.
<workspace>/.metadata/.log doesn't list the missing components at all.  Shows errors on other things, but not the ones I'm looking for.
I tried deleting the components cash in the configuration folder, but it still isn't pulling in.
Any other thoughts on where I should be looking?  Is there a file somewhere that caches which components to pull in?
Ten Stars

Is it possible there's a permissions issue with the 2008 server unable to read all the component folders on the share drive?
One Star

I wondered that too, but a dozen custom components in the same folder, all of them load except 1 or 2. 
Copy and paste the component from that folder into a folder on the desktop, and it loads in and runs without a problem.
Based on that, I have ruled out a problem with the structure of the component since it runs fine when put into another location.  I have also ruled out a problem with the location, since other components in that same folder run just fine.  So far, I haven't been able to narrow this down.  When I need to use this component, I have to copy/paste all the needed components to the desktop and build the job while it's connected to that folder.