Create new table in Hive via Cloudera CDH4 doesn't work (no errors!?)

One Star

Create new table in Hive via Cloudera CDH4 doesn't work (no errors!?)

Hello,
I want to create a new Hive table in a Cloudera CDH4 cluster (5 nodes) with Talend, so I created a new tHiveConnection and a new tHiveRow in Talend (see screenshots). On the server side I started also the Hive Thrift Server. When I'm starting the Talend job, it prints out just a "connected" message, but no table will be created. The connection seems to be ok, as the Thrift server logs the message "hive history file=/tmp/ubuntu/hive_job_log_580897eb-6a44-4393-8d14-9f2976212abc_322391370.txt" with content "SessionStart SESSION_ID="..." TIME="1381746116829"".
*My tHiveConnection setup:*
Distribution: Cloudera; Clodera CDH4
Mode: Standalone; Hive 2
Host: "***.***.156.130" // node1
Port: "10000"
Database: "default"
Username: ""
Passwort: ""
Jobtracker URI: "http://***.***.154.175:8021" // node2
Namenode URI: "hdfs://***.***.154.175:8020" // node2
What's wrong with my setup?
Cheers,
qawmuc

Re: Create new table in Hive via Cloudera CDH4 doesn't work (no errors!?)

Hi,
From your screenshot, we found there is no any connector in your tHiveConnection, such as, OnSubjobOK or OnComponentOk, would you mind checking it?
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
One Star

Hi Sabrina,
you are right, there is no "OnSubjectOk". I added an "OnSubjectOk" but the problem still persists. After hours of bug hunting, I found the solution: just switch to "embedded mode" with port 10000.
It was a hard-to-find bug, because Talend connects also to other ports like the Impala port 21050 (or others!) and logs also just a "connected" message but no SQL Statement will be executed. That's very confusing! The one and only correct setup for Hive is "embedded mode" with port 10000.
Cheers,
qawmuc

Hi,
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. We will make a further investigation on this issue.
Feel free post your issue on forum.
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
Employee

"The one and only correct setup for Hive is "embedded mode" with port 10000."
It absolutely depends on your server configuration. I'm even surprised it works in embedded mode on this port since this port is usually used for the hive server. The embedded mode connects to the metastore which usually uses the port 9083.
If you can connect in embedded to the port 10000, that means you changed the default configuration of your Hive on CDH4.
One Star

Please check metadatastore service are running (Mysql)