Copy a database

One Star

Copy a database

I know it's been asked somewhere else, but I can't seem to find an answer that helps me out.
How can I copy a mysql database from one server to the other, without having to specify the table by table mapping?
Up to now, I toss both my connections in the designer, then I place a tMysqlTableList (using source connection) to iterate into a tMysqlInput (using table name "((String)globalMap.get("tMysqlTableList_1_CURRENT_TABLE"))") which I then connect to a tMysqlOutput (table: ((String)globalMap.get("tMysqlTableList_1_CURRENT_TABLE")) and action on table "drop if exists and create")
I believe this is all I should need, but I can't get it to work.
Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated
Community Manager

Re: Copy a database

Hi
Talend is a data integration tool, not a database client tool, hence it can't copy a database without having to specify the table by table mapping. If you are using commercial version, you can use tMysqlTableList to iterate each table and create a dynamic schema on tMysqlInput. please see my screenshot
What's the problem do you meet now?
Best regards
Shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business
One Star

Hi Shong,
Thanks for your answer, I understand what you mean, but I think for us this was more of a "play task" to do in talend just to get comfortable with it, of course there's probably a hundred different ways to solve my current problem using other tools. I just wanted to know how to do it in talend.
Now, I'm sure I had tried something similar to what your screenshot shows (which means I was in the right path, YAHOO!), but as you said, I'm just facing a limitation of the community edition (ie, not being able to do SELECT * or setting the column list dynamically).
That being said, I thank you for your time and response.
One thing I'd like to ask (though I'm not sure if I should start/search for a thread on this here), the server that comes in the talend community edition does not start on my windows 7 64 bit laptop, how can I know if I'm missing something? I ran the TMDMCE-Server-All-r67267-V4.2.3.jar file, followed through with the installation but the service does not start. As far as I can tell, it installed JBoss as a service on the machine, but when I try to starts it windows keeps saying that the service started and stopped.
Any ideas as to what could be going on?
Once again, thanks for your guidance and time.
Roderick Smith.
Community Manager

Hi Roderick
Yes, there is a limitation on the community edition, you have to create many jobs or subjobs for each table by table mapping with community edition, however, you only need to create one job for all tables mapping by defining a dynamic schema. I am very happy to help you on this topic.
For the second problem, please report a new topic with detailed error message.
Best regards
Shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business