Convert Excel date number value to proper date

One Star

Convert Excel date number value to proper date

I have a csv file which was exported from an excel file. 1 of the columns is a date value but displayed in the underlying number excel uses to store dates i.e its not formatted as a date its a number that represents the time elapsed since Jan 1 1900 ( I'm open to correction on it)
I was wondering whats the best way to convert it into a date I can store in a date field of a schema definition?
I'm not sure how to phrase the query so apologies if its a common query but searching the forum I came across this post from 2008 and I was wondering if there was a more mainstream method the community uses since then? 
Old forum post
One Star

Re: Convert Excel date number value to proper date

It seems I can't post links using the WSYIWYG editor 
Also this was incorrectly tagged as a db2 database issue. its related to excel date's underlying number value and how to convert that to a date value acceptable to other systems and format it into a user friendly representation 
One Star

Convert Excel's number into the number of milliseconds past Jan 1, 1970 00:00:00 GMT and then use the java Date constructor.
One Star

Convert Excel's number into the number of milliseconds past Jan 1, 1970 00:00:00 GMT and then use the java Date constructor.