Convert Excel date number value to proper date

Highlighted
One Star

Convert Excel date number value to proper date

I have a csv file which was exported from an excel file. 1 of the columns is a date value but displayed in the underlying number excel uses to store dates i.e its not formatted as a date its a number that represents the time elapsed since Jan 1 1900 ( I'm open to correction on it)
I was wondering whats the best way to convert it into a date I can store in a date field of a schema definition?
I'm not sure how to phrase the query so apologies if its a common query but searching the forum I came across this post from 2008 and I was wondering if there was a more mainstream method the community uses since then? 
Old forum post
One Star

Re: Convert Excel date number value to proper date

It seems I can't post links using the WSYIWYG editor 
Also this was incorrectly tagged as a db2 database issue. its related to excel date's underlying number value and how to convert that to a date value acceptable to other systems and format it into a user friendly representation 
One Star

Convert Excel's number into the number of milliseconds past Jan 1, 1970 00:00:00 GMT and then use the java Date constructor.
One Star

Convert Excel's number into the number of milliseconds past Jan 1, 1970 00:00:00 GMT and then use the java Date constructor.

Tutorial

Introduction to Talend Open Studio for Data Integration.

Definitive Guide to Data Integration

Practical steps to developing your data integration strategy.

Definitive Guide to Data Quality

Create systems and workflow to manage clean data ingestion and data transformation.