Five Stars

Context and prompt

Hello, 

My question is a noob one but I can not really grasp the interest of "Prompt" in the creation of my context, and in general. I checked the doc but it didn't help me much. It says : 

If needed, select the check box next the variable of interest and enter the prompt message in the corresponding Prompt field. This allows you to see a prompt for the variable value and to edit it at the execution time.

You can show/hide a Prompt column of the table by clicking the black right/left pointing triangle next to the relevant context name.

But since I can indicate a default value in the "Value" column, what's the use for "Prompt" ? I don't really get it. 

By looking on this forum, I've seen this topic which seems related to my question. But I still miss something there even though it looks really basic. 

Can someone help me get the point in this "Prompt" property ? 

Thank you in advance !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Six Stars

Re: Context and prompt

see default value is fixed you can't change it without do modification in the job like if you want to change value every time you need to do modification in the job each time.

here the use of prompt will come like if user want to change the value so they have a right to do so  without any do modification in the job.

Regards
Aashish
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
3 REPLIES
Nine Stars

Think of something 'dynamic' which you want to control by user input, or if you have an initialization job which drops all of your tables you want some confirmation.
But in many ETL/data cases you probably won't use it...
Six Stars

see default value is fixed you can't change it without do modification in the job like if you want to change value every time you need to do modification in the job each time.

here the use of prompt will come like if user want to change the value so they have a right to do so  without any do modification in the job.

Regards
Aashish
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
Five Stars

Ok, I understand it better now. 

Thanks to you both !

@Dijke you are right. I never used it before in other ETL jobs. But I think I will try that on own just to test it and see how it really works.