One Star

Connecting to Hive in HA Cluster / Unknown Host Error

I'm attempting to setup a very simple Hive Query to a Hortonworks HDP 2.2 cluster that is HA aware.
After following this KB topic -> https://help.talend.com/search/all?query=Enabling%252Bthe%252BHDFS%252BHigh%252BAvailability%252Bfea...
I am getting an unknown host error even after configuring HA as described in the article.

: org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.Utilities - Processing alias <topic>
: org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.Utilities - Adding input file hdfs://clustername/<some_directory>/<topic>/day=2015-02-09/time=00-00
: org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.Utilities - Content Summary not cached for hdfs://clustername/<some_directory>/<topic>/day=2015-02-09/time=00-00
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: java.net.UnknownHostException: clustername
at org.apache.hadoop.security.SecurityUtil.buildTokenService(SecurityUtil.java:418)
at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.NameNodeProxies.createNonHAProxy(NameNodeProxies.java:231)
I'm leveraging Talend Big Data 5.6 on Win 7.  Everything seems normal before this - the flow connects to hcat (for metadata) and hdfs (for temp directory) fine... the flow bombs when hive gives back the cluster name vs one of the name nodes.
3 REPLIES

Re: Connecting to Hive in HA Cluster / Unknown Host Error

Hi,
What's your connection mode to Hive? Could you please also show us screenshots of the Basic settings tab of HIVE connection component?

Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
One Star

The connection mode was Embedded.  I was able to get the flow to work properly by switching to Standalone and Hive 2.  This doesn't necessarily directly solve the HA question, but it works.
One Star

I'm sure you already figured this out - else, here's a post on Hive HA.