Connect to MS Access DB on Linux

One Star

Connect to MS Access DB on Linux

Hi to all,
I can't access to an mdb file on linux.
I've talend 3.2 and 4.0. My OS is Ubuntu 9.10.
When I try to configure the tAccessInput, I get this error when I try to retrieve the tables list:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver.initialize(JdbcOdbcDriver.java:436)
at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver.connect(JdbcOdbcDriver.java:153)
at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.ExtractMetaDataUtils.connect(Unknown Source)
at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.ExtractMetaDataFromDataBase.testConnection(Unknown Source)
at org.talend.designer.core.ui.editor.properties.controllers.DbTableController.checkConnection(Unknown Source)
at org.talend.designer.core.ui.editor.properties.controllers.DbTableController$5.run(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)
ERROR: java.lang.NullPointerException
ERROR: java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.ExtractMetaDataUtils.getConnection(Unknown Source)
at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.ExtractMetaDataFromDataBase.returnTablesFormConnection(Unknown Source)
at org.talend.designer.core.ui.editor.properties.controllers.DbTableController$5.run(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver.initialize(JdbcOdbcDriver.java:436)
at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver.connect(JdbcOdbcDriver.java:153)
at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.ExtractMetaDataUtils.connect(Unknown Source)
... 4 more

There is a tutorial to connect an Access mdb in linux?
Thanks to all and happy new year!
Stefano
Community Manager

Re: Connect to MS Access DB on Linux

Hello
You need install the odbc driver for linux machine.
Download access odbc driver for linux
http://www.easysoft.com/products/data_access/odbc-access-driver/index.html?location=Easysoft%20Data%...
Here is the getting started guide
http://www.easysoft.com/products/data_access/odbc-access-driver/getting-started.html
I install access odbc driver on CentOS5.3 and use tDBInput to read records from a access data source, it works fine.
Best regards
shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business
One Star

I am using TIS Administrator to run jobs in UNIX.
I am also trying to populate access tables with this environment.
Will this driver work for this? Isn't there a free way to get this working other than the not free driver you mentioned?
Thanks for any help on this.
- Bob
Highlighted
One Star

Note: My post is referring to MS Access tables and how to get Administrator working.
- Bob
One Star

Hi Shong, I followed your instructions and could connect to MS Access on Linux, the only problem was the charset, so I got ? instead of special chars.
Is there anyone experienced with this? Can I specify the charset on odbc.ini file?
Thanks a lot.

Tutorial

Introduction to Talend Open Studio for Data Integration.

Definitive Guide to Data Integration

Practical steps to developing your data integration strategy.

Definitive Guide to Data Quality

Create systems and workflow to manage clean data ingestion and data transformation.