Config File , DS_JOBS , Repository - Datastage equivalent in Talend

One Star

Config File , DS_JOBS , Repository - Datastage equivalent in Talend

All,
I am newbiew to Talend. I have been working in Datastage for the last 8 years. So I would like to know what is the equivalent concepts 
in Talend for the below items.
1) Config File - Temporary Memory , Parallelism , Node Details , Scratch Disk , Pool etc details will be stored in this file. We can create as many config files based on our requirement. I also know the location of config file in datastage.
How to fit this in Talend? Where the Config file will be available? 
2) DS_JOBS - Once we create a new job, It will be stored in this table with one auto generated ID. what is the equivalent in Talend?
3) Repository - XMETA (Oracle, SqlServer or DB2 ) in Datastage ? what is in Talend?
4) Log Details will be stored in DS_LOGS and we can limit the log history. what is the equivalent in Talend?
One Star

Re: Config File , DS_JOBS , Repository - Datastage equivalent in Talend

All,
Can I have any response?
Thanks
Karthik M
One Star

Hi,
I worked more than 10 years with DS Smiley Happy and 5 month with Talend so i can answer to some of your questions.
1) Config file => see context file (it's automatic or you can create and manage it manually). Other things doesn't have searched for but scratch and pool doesn't exist.
2 & 3 & 4) Forget universe tables with Talend. With TOS, i don't have seen those elements but with TDI you have a database for your repository and you'll find what your searching for (logs, jobs, repository...)
HTH
Carlos
One Star

TDI you have a database for your repository and you'll find what your searching for (logs, jobs, repository...)
I am using TDI only. 
see context file (it's automatic or you can create and manage it manually).
where? you mean in the job design, I can see "Context" box. How to create context file ?
Sixteen Stars

I believe that all of the functionality that you mention can be recreated in Talend. But you have to understand that it is a different tool. I cam to Talend from an Informatica background. While I continued to *think* in an Informatica way, I found Talend frustrating. But once I had learnt the product I realised that Talend is actually a much better tool than Informatica. With Talend you are only limited by your ETL, data structures and algorithm, and Java knowledge. If you are sound in those 3 then you can get Talend to do anything you want with data.
For a good site to talk you through the Talend basics, take a look here: http://www.talendbyexample.com/
If you want to try out some more unusual things with Talend (neural networks, playing around with social media, etc), take a look here: https://www.rilhia.com
One Star

It is true.I agree your point. 
Does Talend apply "Pipe lining & Parallelism" by default ?   
One Star

ok for TDI so you'll find what you want in your database repertory (i'm using TOS fyi).
for Context thing see Talend tutorials or create a file with your parameters and values and read it in your sequencer at the beginning of the job with the tContextLoad
One Star

I had a discussion with one Talend guy yesterday and came to knoe talend jobs will be executed in sequential mode by default.
If required we can either use tParallelism component or "MultiThread" option to run the jobs in parallel. Am I correct?
One Star

Can anybody tell me the performance difference between Datastage Parallel Run vs Talend Sequential Run ?