Component documentation usable in the Studio

Seventeen Stars

Component documentation usable in the Studio

The xml file has a tag documentation. I have tried to set here an URL but it does not work. How can I add documentation to a component and call it by the F1 key? Has anybody successfully added a documentation visible in the Studio?
Community Manager

Re: Component documentation usable in the Studio

Hi Jolling
Do you want to add a component document that doesn't exist yet in studio? or do you think there is a bug to display the component document if you press F1 key.
Best regards
Shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business
Seventeen Stars

I speak about custom components and the ability to have a documentation for them in the Studio like for the build-in components.
It looks like the documentation tag in the component-xml file is actually not really in use. Because of there is not documentation about components I can only perform try-and-error.
For the components sipped with the studio everything is fine. I mean the custom components. I am aware the documentation could hardly work in the same way as for the build-in because the build-in help pages are also part of the studio distribution but it would be great if the link which could set in the DOCUMENTATION flag could be used to start a browser and show this URL.
Here an example (I have tried this but it looks like it is not implemented to show this URL anywhere, so I decided to remove this again in the current release of my components to avoid any unexpected errors):
	<FAMILIES>
<FAMILY>Business/Google</FAMILY>
</FAMILIES>
<DOCUMENTATION>
<URL>http://www.jan-lolling.de/talend/components/help/tGoogleAnalyticsInput.pdf</URL>
</DOCUMENTATION> 

Could you please ask some developers where this URL is used?
If there is a chance to see this it would be great!
The build-in components looks like they never use this feature at all.
Community Manager

Hi jlolling 
I have submit your question to our R&D team, I will let you know once I have answers or they will reply directly you here.
Best regards
Shong
Community Manager

Hi jlolling
Sorry for delay, I got feedback from our developers that this would be a possible feature for custom component: allow to access external URL from the help property. Can you please create a jira issue on our bugtracker? Our developers will investigate this issue further.
Best regards
Shong
Seventeen Stars

Hi Shong,
I have created a issue as you suggested. 
https://jira.talendforge.org/browse/TDI-31704
Best regards

What’s New for Talend Spring ’19

Watch the recorded webinar!

Watch Now

Tutorial

Introduction to Talend Open Studio for Data Integration.

Watch

Downloads and Trials

Test drive Talend's enterprise products.

Downloads

Definitive Guide to Data Integration

Practical steps to developing your data integration strategy.

Download