Cloning a set of jobs

Seven Stars

Cloning a set of jobs

Is there anything in Talend (or outside of it) to help with cloning a set of jobs, e.g. if I have jobA which calls jobB which calls jobC, I want to clone them so I have jobA_1 calling jobB_1 which calls jobC_1.

If I duplicate the jobs in Talend, I need to go into jobA_1 and edit the tJob stage to point to jobB_1 instead of jobB.

I'm thinking of writing an export parser/rewriter so that I can export jobA, jobB, and jobC, run it through the duplicator to add _1 to all references to jobs in the export, and import the new set of jobs. Has anyone already done anything like this, and are there any pitfalls to it as a plan?

Community Manager

Re: Cloning a set of jobs

You will find this very difficult and pretty dangerous to implement via trial and error, but it is not impossible. You will need to study the backend xml files and see how the uids link to names and then link to the project file. FYI that is a massive simplification of what goes on. DO NOT try this with a project you want to keep. 

Highlighted
Seven Stars

Re: Cloning a set of jobs

Yes, I was coming to that conclusion myself. I will stick to cloning and re-pointing manually, but I have a script that scans an export looking for a job name pattern so I can check whether I have missed any.

15TH OCTOBER, COUNTY HALL, LONDON

Join us at the Community Lounge.

Register Now

2019 GARNER MAGIC QUADRANT FOR DATA INTEGRATION TOOL

Talend named a Leader.

Get your copy

OPEN STUDIO FOR DATA INTEGRATION

Kickstart your first data integration and ETL projects.

Download now

What’s New for Talend Summer ’19

Watch the recorded webinar!

Watch Now

Best Practices for Using Context Variables with Talend – Part 4

Pick up some tips and tricks with Context Variables

Blog

How Media Organizations Achieved Success with Data Integration

Learn how media organizations have achieved success with Data Integration

Read

Tutorial

Introduction to Talend Open Studio for Data Integration.

Watch