Building and Using Variables For tFTPPut Filemask

One Star

Building and Using Variables For tFTPPut Filemask

I'm very new to Talend. I've written a couple very useful scripts at this point. However, I need to get a bit more advanced and was hoping someone could point me in the direction of the documentations / examples to read in order to accomplish it.
I writing a script using tFTPPut to sFTP a file from my local system to a vendor. I have it working with a specified file for the filemask. Unfortunately, the vendor requires this file to have a name with the date embedded. So, the file name will be different every time the file needs to be sent.
I can program. Since it's based on the date, this is a programmatic issue. My first two questions are, then ...

Where do I do my programming to build the date string I need and ...
How do I use that variable in the filemask portion of the tFTPPut action.
Like I said, I'm hoping someone can jump start me by pointing to some appropriate reading material. I'm perfectly capable of figuring it out, I just need to get pointed down the right road, first.
Thanks,
Quintin

Re: Building and Using Variables For tFTPPut Filemask

Hi Quintin,
What does your script look like?
For your use case, would you mind setting an example for us?
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
One Star

I'm not exactly sure how to present this to you so if there is a better way than what I have done, just say so.
It's a very simple script ...

The tSystem_1 executes a VBS script developed by a supplier to extract data from their SaaS system.

tFTPPut_1 uses sFTP to send that file to a vendor.

You will notice in the 'Filemask' that the file name has an embedded data. Somehow, I need to use use yesterday's date to build that YYMMDD string (160629 in the screenshot supplied) and then use that string to build the filename (Delta-834.160629) to be used in the filemask.
One Star

I found this tutorial on how to pass a parameter through a context variable.
http://talend-etl-tutorials.blogspot.com/2013/12/talend-begineers-qucik-understanding-of.html
Applying that information would mean instead of coding my file name string within Talend, I could code it outside and pass that string to the (super basic) job that just performed the sFTP operation.
Would that be the best methodology to tackle this with?

Calling Talend Open Studio Users

The first 100 community members completing the Open Studio survey win a $10 gift voucher.

Start the survey

2019 GARNER MAGIC QUADRANT FOR DATA INTEGRATION TOOL

Talend named a Leader.

Get your copy

OPEN STUDIO FOR DATA INTEGRATION

Kickstart your first data integration and ETL projects.

Download now

What’s New for Talend Summer ’19

Watch the recorded webinar!

Watch Now

Best Practices for Using Context Variables with Talend – Part 4

Pick up some tips and tricks with Context Variables

Blog

How Media Organizations Achieved Success with Data Integration

Learn how media organizations have achieved success with Data Integration

Read

APIs for Dummies

View this on-demand webinar about APIs....

Watch Now