Best practice Talend ESB

Highlighted
Seven Stars

Best practice Talend ESB

In Talend for ESB, you can export a job either as standalone (with(out) context scripts & etc) or as an OSGi bundle to be deployed in the karaf container. I am working in the OpenStudio, the following question apply for the second option.

• How do we manage logs ? By default all output are logged in Runtime_ESBSE/container/log/tesb.log. How do I customize this for a project ? per bundle ?
  • How do I share a single context file among multiple bundles ? I am aware that if you have deployed a bundle as "foobar.jar", you need to create a foobar.cfg file in container/etc. But what if want to share a general.cfg ?
  • Is it best practice to design a stateful webservice in ESB ?
  • Something you think is worth to be mentioned regarding the mediation components ? like why would you use a route instead of a job ?

Thanks for your contribution.

Tags (2)
Community Manager

Re: Best practice Talend ESB

I will answer in-line below.....

@navds wrote:

In Talend for ESB, you can export a job either as standalone (with(out) context scripts & etc) or as an OSGi bundle to be deployed in the karaf container. I am working in the OpenStudio, the following question apply for the second option.

• How do we manage logs ? By default all output are logged in Runtime_ESBSE/container/log/tesb.log. How do I customize this for a project ? per bundle ?

You can still use the AMC (Activity Monitoring Console) in the OSGI container, if you are talking about simply running jobs (not services or routes). If you want logs for your jobs, it might be good to try that.

• How do I share a single context file among multiple bundles ? I am aware that if you have deployed a bundle as "foobar.jar", you need to create a foobar.cfg file in container/etc. But what if want to share a general.cfg ?

Again, if you are using jobs (not routes or services) you could try using the Implicit Context Load to solve this. I am currently writing a multi-part blog on this here (https://www.talend.com/blogger/rhall). You may want to wait for part 3, but part 2 may help.

• Is it best practice to design a stateful webservice in ESB ?

I'm not sure I understand this question. If you need to write a stateful service, you can do it with the ESB. Typically you would use a SOAP service, but in theory you could use SOAP or REST.

• Something you think is worth to be mentioned regarding the mediation components ? like why would you use a route instead of a job ?

Jobs are typically batch (they start and end), routes are always on. This very much changes the way you have to think about them

Thanks for your contribution.

Cloud Free Trial

Try Talend Cloud free for 30 days.

Tutorial

Introduction to Talend Open Studio for Data Integration.

Definitive Guide to Data Integration

Practical steps to developing your data integration strategy.

Definitive Guide to Data Quality

Create systems and workflow to manage clean data ingestion and data transformation.