Best apporach to replicate the Whole Project in TOS

Highlighted
Six Stars

Best apporach to replicate the Whole Project in TOS

Hi Team,

Please suggest the approach for the below queries

1. I would like to replicate the current Dev project to QA with minor changes as Context variable and DB connection. I should create the build and import in Tool or will copy the folder in metadata with new name and switch to that folder?

2. How to copy the job from one project to another with minimum changes to be made in same job in new environment like DB connection.

Thanks,

Rohit.

Highlighted
Sixteen Stars
Sixteen Stars

Re: Best apporach to replicate the Whole Project in TOS

You should not have to replicate your project for this purpose. Use context (and context variables) to switch from an environment to another one.

TRF
Highlighted
Six Stars

Hi @TRF ,

Thanks for your reply but currently we have completed almost 70% of project and we have DB metadata which we edit the connection for respective Db (QA/Dev). Now, going back in each component and using the context variable is quiet difficult instead we just modify the connection details.

We would like to keep different project for each environment so was wondering the approach either just copy whole folder from metadata and then open studio referring this new folder and do one time change in DB connection or will build and import it similarly and change again the DB connection details.

Sixteen Stars
Sixteen Stars

Definitively, this not the right approach.
I strongly recommand to you to review the strategy and go on with context variables.
You'll pay a little now but you'll win a lot tomorrow.

TRF
Highlighted
Six Stars

@TRF, I agree approach wise this is not good but looking at the scale of project and knowingly that we are not going to own this, we thought to go with this. However, I would be interested to know if there any consequences of this approach. 

2019 GARTNER MAGIC QUADRANT FOR DATA INTEGRATION TOOL

Talend named a Leader.

Get your copy

OPEN STUDIO FOR DATA INTEGRATION

Kickstart your first data integration and ETL projects.

Download now

Best Practices for Using Context Variables with Talend – Part 2

Part 2 of a series on Context Variables

Blog

Best Practices for Using Context Variables with Talend – Part 1

Learn how to do cool things with Context Variables

Blog

Best Practices for Using Context Variables with Talend – Part 3

Read about some useful Context Variable ideas

Blog