One Star

As400 connection problem

hi,
i have a problem with my AS400 connection, it is not possible to be connected with talend.
I use jt400 in other app (/ex ireport) and it's work fine but i get an SQL error with Talend.
it's SQL901 error, this mean that connection is done but not a correct "communication"
i don't know where i can found log for this error in my AS400.
i don't understand why it's working with ireport and not with talend.
i need help
thanks
16 REPLIES
Four Stars

Re: As400 connection problem

Which version of Talend are you using? There have been a lot of work on AS400 related issues between V2.1.4 and V2.2.1. I currently have had no problems with AS400 connections, except for tCreateTable component. The tCreateTable issue should be corrected in the next release. I would only use V2.2.1 for AS400 connections.
You didn't mention if the problem was with Metadata or a specific component. If you are having problems with the tAS400Output component, you might want to change the 'use commitment control' check box. If your file isn't set to use commitment control on the AS400 (journaled files) the box should not be checked. If they are under commitment control, check that box. I think the defaults were changed in Talend V2.2.1 to not use commitment control by default.
Hope that helps, and if it doesn't, leave a bit more detail about what component you are using and when the error occurs.
Jerry Leeper
One Star

hi, thanks to reply jerry
ver 2.2.1
On my PC or any other metadata connection or tdbinput connection or dbjdbcinput give me the same bad result.
jdbc connection work very well with other app : ireport, kettle, jasperserver...
does i need a special setup with my as400 to work with talend ?
Four Stars

1) Are you using a Perl or Java Project. The Java project have AS400 specific connectors, tAS400Input and tAS400Output. And the Metadata create connection wizard will create AS400 specific connections.
I don't think Perl projects are really set up to handle AS400. If you are able to get to an AS400 in a Perl project, I think you end up going through the JDBCSmiley SurprisedDBC bridge; something that APITA as far as I'm concerned. Java Projects will give you direct connections through the JT400 JDBC driver which probably is what's working fine for you with other products.
I didn't need any special setup. I would guess that all the applications you have made AS400 jdbc connections use the JT400 driver, just like Java project do in Talend.
If you really, really want to work in a Perl project, I'd start by creating an OBDC connection to the AS400. Once you get that working, then I'd try setting up a generic OBDC connection in Metadata. I wouldn't recommend it though...
jerry leeper
One Star

hi,
java project
jt400 is not working wih talend, i work now in odbc, i will open a bug report.
Employee

Hello
I have been recently able to connect succesfully to a few AS400 with Talend.
Talend was fully able to work conect and execute request to AS400.
May you post your full error message ?
Regards,
Michaël.
One Star

hi
thanks to reply
i can't explain this kind of error
here is my setup an the error
One Star

hi,
is there a place where i can look for a more detailled log, in talend or on my as400
Employee

There is a log, but I think that the simples solution is to try to connect directly a tAS400Input component.
I'm interested by your results.
Regards,
One Star

it's ok like this
i just connect a tinputas400 and toutputdelimited, run it ..............
and it's work.
the probleme is just at the connection test ?
i am not able to open the tinputas400's sql builder.
i am not able to define a data connection.
thanks for help
Employee

Which version of AS400 you use ?
It seems there was some problems before with the version V5R3, but it was ok for the version V5R4.
One Star

it's a V5R3 version
is there a way to bypass the problem or am i obliged to migrate to V5R4 ?
Employee

In fact it seems there is a problem either in the V5R3 or in the jt400 driver with the V5R3 with the option "libraries". (this option should be the same it seems for R3 & R4 version)
To keep the compatiblity with the V5R3, we "must" remove the option "libraries" used in the connection or sql builder.
The problem is that if we do that, when you will list all the tables from the connection, it will list all the tables from all the libraries.
So instead of have for example 10 tables listed in the selected library, you will see maybe 500.. 1000 tables maybe (or far more depends your system), so of course it's not really convenient to select the table you want.
So either:
- We add a "flag" to be able to keep the compatibility with R3 version (remove the option libraries for connection/sqlbuilder).
- We "force" to use the R4 version. (difficult to know if there is the same problems in R2 or lower versions)
The problem you had is described here in fact: http://talendforge.org/bugs/view.php?id=1996
jsleeper had the same problem before, but after he changed to version R4 it works.
One Star

hi,
it's me again.
i'm now on V5R4, and i still have the same problem
One Star

up
One Star

RESOLVED
The problem is a bad SQL package on QGPL.
if you got the same error ask for your ibm support.
One Star

Hello -I'm trying to connect to an AS400 database but I'm running into the following error (using TOS 5.3.1):
connecting to socket on port 3550

connected
Exception in component tAS400Connection_1
java.sql.SQLException:  library(s) not added to the library list.
at com.ibm.as400.access.JDError.throwSQLException(JDError.java:650)
at com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCConnection.setServerAttributes(AS400JDBCConnection.java:4031)
at com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCConnection.setProperties(AS400JDBCConnection.java:3273)
at com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCConnection.setProperties(AS400JDBCConnection.java:3160)
at com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCConnection.setProperties(AS400JDBCConnection.java:3153)
at com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCDriver.prepareConnection(AS400JDBCDriver.java:1360)
at com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCDriver.initializeConnection(AS400JDBCDriver.java:1211)
at com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCDriver.connect(AS400JDBCDriver.java:352)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source)
at billsletters.as400test_0_1.as400test.tAS400Connection_1Process(as400test.java:286)
at billsletters.as400test_0_1.as400test.runJobInTOS(as400test.java:517)
disconnected
at billsletters.as400test_0_1.as400test.main(as400test.java:383)
Job as400test ended at 23:28 19/08/2014.
I'm currently installing all missing modules (jars) into my instance of Talend. But I'd like to know if I should expect to have this resolved by downloading these jars - or would I have to resort to some 3rd party jar like JT400?
Thank you