Six Stars

Anyone had a problem when trying to update 0 rows in a tVerticaOutput?

I have a workflow this is AOK when it has updates to write, but if it has 0 rows to update, then it fails with an "Unexpected message type: ReadyForQuery." error. Has anyone encountered that and know how I can get around it?
I am writing to a Vertica output, using Vertica4.
Starting job j_load_earn_mall_collinson at 10:25 27/11/2013.
connecting to socket on port 3594
connected
2013-11-27 10:25:28 BATCH_KEY="134", ETL_JOB_NM="j_load_earn_mall_collinson", EVNT_DT="2013-11-27 10:25:27", ETL_JOB_VER_NUM="0.1", JOB_STAT_CD="begin", JOB_STAT_DESC="", PROC_TM=""
Exception in component tVerticaOutput_1
java.sql.SQLException: (100023) Unexpected message type: ReadyForQuery.
at com.vertica.io.ProtocolStream.readExpectedMessage(Unknown Source)
at com.vertica.dataengine.VDataEngine.prepareImpl(Unknown Source)
at com.vertica.dataengine.VDataEngine.prepare(Unknown Source)
at com.vertica.dataengine.VDataEngine.prepare(Unknown Source)
at com.vertica.jdbc.SPreparedStatement.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.vertica.jdbc.VerticaPreparedStatementImpl.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.vertica.jdbc.VJDBCObjectFactory.createPreparedStatement(Unknown Source)
at com.vertica.jdbc.SConnection.prepareStatement(Unknown Source)
at pdwserver.j_load_earn_mall_collinson_0_1.j_load_earn_mall_collinson.tHashInput_2Process(j_load_earn_mall_collinson.java:21000)
at pdwserver.j_load_earn_mall_collinson_0_1.j_load_earn_mall_collinson.tJava_3Process(j_load_earn_mall_collinson.java:21125)
at pdwserver.j_load_earn_mall_collinson_0_1.j_load_earn_mall_collinson.tJava_4Process(j_load_earn_mall_collinson.java:11117)
at pdwserver.j_load_earn_mall_collinson_0_1.j_load_earn_mall_collinson.tOracleInput_1Process(j_load_earn_mall_collinson.java:11019)
at pdwserver.j_load_earn_mall_collinson_0_1.j_load_earn_mall_collinson.tVerticaRow_1Process(j_load_earn_mall_collinson.java:8529)
at pdwserver.j_load_earn_mall_collinson_0_1.j_load_earn_mall_collinson.runJobInTOS(j_load_earn_mall_collinson.java:22239)
Caused by: com.vertica.support.exceptions.GeneralException: (100023) Unexpected message type: ReadyForQuery.
... 14 more

5 REPLIES
Six Stars

Re: Anyone had a problem when trying to update 0 rows in a tVerticaOutput?

In case it is useful to anyone, I worked around this issue by stashing the results of the flow (which will be 0 or more rows) in a tHashOutput. Then I have a second subjob, joined by an If trigger, and I grab the values back from the hash (using a tHashInput) and write the non-zero updates to my Vertica table.
I put this sort of code in the If trigger -
(Integer)globalMap.get("tHashOutput_2_NB_LINE") > 0
This works, but it is inelegant. Feels like there must be a better way.
Note that if I have 0 rows to *insert*, that works fine. The error only comes up when trying to update 0 rows.
Six Stars

Does Talend, or anyone else, have a better way around this error?? I have encountered the same issue on a different project, and really don't want to use the workaround I found last time.

Hi,
Would you mind giving us a whole job design and job requirement so that we can see if there is an optimistic workflow for your job design.
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
Six Stars

Hi Sabrina,
Are you able to use tVerticaOutput with an action of either Update or Delete and pass in 0 rows at runtime? When I do that, I get the error described.
I would expect Talend to just recognize that there are no Updates (and/or no Deletes) to do and finish gracefully. Note that if I am do an Insert using tVerticaOutput and I pass it 0 rows, it happily and gracefully handles that.
There are lots of cases where I find that I want to split my flow and do something different for Inserts than for Updates or Deletes. I don't really want a workaround - I have one already by hand-crafting SQL using tVerticaRow or by using the Hash components as described in my post. I just want tVerticaOutput to work.
I simply want to understand why Talend it crashes when doing a tVerticaOutput with either Update or Delete and it happens to have 0 rows flowing in.
Can you assist? I would be so grateful.

Hi,
Please open a jira issue of DI project on Talend Bug Tracker, our developer will check it.
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.