6.3 install broke MSSQL jobs

One Star

6.3 install broke MSSQL jobs

We were running various versions of Talend Open Studio for Big Data 6.2 and decided to get on 6.3.0 to all be on the same version. 

However, in 6.3.0 any MSSQL job we modify begins crashing asking for a nonexistent jar.  The jobs run fine but as soon as we make any change to the query or try to guess the schema, it begins demanding that we install "mssql-jdbc.jar".  This is not the official MSSQL driver and it's not the public domain driver Talend used in 6.2.x.  

There is no "download and install", just a button that pops up with the mouseover text "mvn: org.talend.libraries/mssql-jdbc/6.0.0.jar".   Clicking this button opens windows explorer to let you choose the jar.  There is a jar at configuration\.m2\repository\org\talend\libraries\mssql-jdbc named mssql-jdbc-6.0.0.jar.  But selecting this does nothing.  It just spins and returns back to the same screen.  (see first screenshot).

If we try to run the job anyway, or if I rename the 6.0.0 jar to "mssql-jdbc.jar", we get a "class not found" exception on net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.driver.    But the JTDS driver is named "jtds-1.3.1" - I don't have any idea what this "mssql-jdbc" is.  

If I look at the modules view, this shows as "not installed" but I can find no option to install it or tell the system where it is (see second screenshot).   
These jobs all worked fine before, and they continue to work if I don't need to make any changes.  So what is this driver, where do I get it?  This has us at a complete standstill as we cannot build a single job with MSSQL input.

Re: 6.3 install broke MSSQL jobs

Hi,
We will make a testing on V 6.3 to see if this issue repro on our side and then come back to you as soon as we can.
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
One Star

I can confirm I ran into this same issue with Talend for Data Integration. Tried uploading from 6.2 to 6.3 and as soon as I tried to do anything SQL Server related, I ran into the issue like the posted screenshot, and there is no apparent way to install the missing module.

Hi, 
Could you please create a jira issue on talend bug tracker?
https://jira.talendforge.org/secure/Dashboard.jspa. Our developer will take a look at it.
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
One Star

Thanks, posted under TBD-4270.
Thirteen Stars

this jdbc not really needed, it marked as not required (and Jobs work without it)
You can download latest jdbc from microsoft and rename it 
what from real problems - 6.3 start return not adequate error information, before - check error message always help to understand what wrong, now it not so clear. For example it could return error - component unsupported by Java 1.8 when You put just wrong connect information ... just fix information and it start support it :-)
-----------
One Star

How do you mean it's not required?  I get a big yellow error on the top of the MSSQL component telling me that jar is missing.   Until it is loaded the component will error and the job will not build or run.  If you have a magical way to tell Talend that this jar is not required please share it.  
As far as errors, let me be clear, I am not making new jobs or changing old ones.  We are talking about dozens of existing jobs that ran flawlessly and without complaint or error in 6.2.   Now none of them run.   
Thirteen Stars

How do you mean it's not required?  I get a big yellow error on the top of the MSSQL component telling me that jar is missing.   Until it is loaded the component will error and the job will not build or run.  If you have a magical way to tell Talend that this jar is not required please share it.  
As far as errors, let me be clear, I am not making new jobs or changing old ones.  We are talking about dozens of existing jobs that ran flawlessly and without complaint or error in 6.2.   Now none of them run.   

Variant #1
all my imported Jobs work because by default Talend use JTDS drivers, which work fine
    as You can see 6.3 and all work
ok, go to variant #2 - change driver to Microsoft, yes - it ask:
do the described before steps:

and all again work Smiley Happy

that all magic for today
-----------
One Star

Thanks, downloading the official Microsoft drives and renaming the jar to "mssql-jdbc.jar" worked!  
I will try using only open-source drivers next time we install and see if I can avoid even doing this.