One Star

karaf: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

Hi I have deployed ActiveMQ in karaf. Now I start getting java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space Errors when I try accessing the activemqweb console.

I already tried to set value in the talend-runtime-wrapper.conf file:
wrapper.java.additional.2=-XXSmiley TongueermSize=512m
wrapper.java.additional.3=-XX:MaxPermSize=1024m
but no success.
Any idea where I can increase the availiable memory?

Thanks
Laci

• ESB
  • Talend Runtime
9 REPLIES
One Star

Re: karaf: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

Do you install ActiveMQ Web Console using
karaf@trun> features:install activemq-web-console
?
One Star

Yes!
One Star

I'm also getting a PermGen error each time I try to access the ActiveMQ Web Console. ActiveMQ and the console were installed following "10.4.1 Broker creation" and "10.5.2 Install the Web Console to a container" of the "Talend ESB Infrastructure Services v5.3.1 - Configuration Guide".

I'm using Talend-5.3.1 on a 64-bit RHEL Linux.
I tried to set a higher value for JAVA_MAX_PERM_MEM in runtime/bin/setenv, but even 2480M won't change anything.
Employee

Hi Laci,
Can you share the Java version you're using?
Also, after you start the runtime if you connect to it with JConsole you could check to see if the perm gen setting was applied.
Best Regards,
Ben
One Star

I'm using Java Hotspot 1.7.0_45.
I actually don't see any "-XX:MaxPermSize" VM parameter in the VM Summary of JConsole.
Isn't runtime/bin/setenv the recommended way to change the parameter of the JVM, as stated in the "ESB Infrastructure Services Configuration Guide"?
Employee

I see instructions for the memory parameters in the ESB Admin Guide:
https://help.talend.com/display/TalendESBContainerAdministrationGuide53EN/18.1+Memory+Allocation+Par...
Did you just try to modify the JAVA_MAX_PERM_MEM value inside the IF structure? If so, I suggest setting the value outside of the IF structures, before any script logic... probably just below the big commented section at the beginning.
export JAVA_MAX_PERM_MEM=512M

Also, how are you starting the container? RC service, bin/trun, bin/start?
One Star

I have just tested. I only see in VisualVM a -Xmx2500m parameter, the same one as show by a "ps aux | grep java". I don't know where this 2500m is set.
The container is started from an RC service.
Employee

OK, I would get into the RC script and and see what parameters are being passed from there. I suspect it's bypassing trun, which is what uses setenv.
One Star

bhough, it's actually symbolic link to Talend's bin/talend-runtime-service.
It appears that when using an RC script etc/talend-runtime-wrapper.conf should be configured and not setenv.
I have opened JIRA #TESB-12306.
Thanks.