Why do some Talend ESB (7.0.1) routes with nested Talend Jobs fail to build?

Six Stars

Why do some Talend ESB (7.0.1) routes with nested Talend Jobs fail to build?

I have a project with several routes, most of which use Talend Jobs, some of which use jobs that have use tRunJob to call sub-jobs.

This project all worked fine in 6.5, but in 7.0.1 some of the routes do not build. (They compile fine if running in the studio)

Looking at the lastGenerated.log files for the routes, there is a step which installs the routeName_jobName component for routes that work. However for the ones that don't work it is actually installing routeName_subJobName and then complaining a few lines later that it can't find routeName_jobName.

There is nothing in the route referencing the subJobName directly, so I don't see why Talend is doing this.

There is no error message generated when building the routes that don't work - it just processes for a while then closes the build window having not built the .kar file.

Is there a way of getting better logging from Talend so I can figure out why it is unhappy building these routes?

Tags (2)
Six Stars

Re: Why do some Talend ESB (7.0.1) routes with nested Talend Jobs fail to build?

Do you the issue with every route that call a subjob or only a few?

Without more information, it looks like a bug.

Six Stars

Re: Why do some Talend ESB (7.0.1) routes with nested Talend Jobs fail to build?

Hi - Thanks for looking - I think it is every route that contains more than one talend job - either because they are nested (in my actual case) or in a further test case if there are two talend jobs called as separate cTalendJob components. The reason that I said "some" in the title, is because some of my routes did appear to build - but I now think they are missing the sub-job, so not functional anyway.

I suspect you are right about a but - and I have filed a bug report - because looking at the lastGenerated.log file there is a reference to Maven complaining about duplicate install instructions - and it appears only to process the last install instruction in the pom-feature.xml file.

So the routes that appeared to build were ones where the directly called job was last in the pom-feature.xml, but when I looked inside the created .car file, the subjob wasn't there.

Six Stars

I just got the 7.0.1 Data Fabric so I will try latter on as well to see if I can replicate it.

But with a case log, it will be nice to get a feedback on the forum if you get an answer.

By the way, Talend support (Lionel Hartmann) send an email about a patch affecting ESB install on the 7.0.1 - 20180411_1414:

Talend Customer Support team recommends our Talend v7.0.1 customers intending to use Data Services and Routes (ESB) deploy Patch_20180504_TPS-2462_v1-7.0.1 in your newly installed Talend 7.0.1 environment.

This patch addresses critical issues related to Talend Studio and Talend CommandLine, primarily fixing issues building ESB artefacts (OSGI services and Microservices) as well external library handling (cConfig). The patch was proactively made available to you as an automatic software update.

I am pretty sure support will ask you to apply the patch before anything else.

Cheers,

Four Stars

I have same problem when build Job where used tRunJob  Talend ESB (7.0.1)

How to fix it? 

Six Stars

Hi! At the moment, I've had to revert to 6.5.1 because it appears that you cannot have any route more than one Talend Job, or as you say, a Talend Job with tRunJob subjob.

I think it is to do with having restructured the deployment mechanism to use Maven more effectively, so that sub jobs are separate maven packages, but it looks like the program that generates the pom-feature.xml does it incorrectly, and therefore Maven fails to build the final package correctly.

I think that unless you can fix this in the openstudio source code and rebuild open studio, you may need to wait until the next version comes out and hope that they have fixed it. (I believe there is a patch for subscription users, but that doesn't help me)