Four Stars

Custom Component not working on TAC

Hello

I've been having issues on getting a custom component deployed onto the TAC server. The component works fine on my local machine, but after I deploy through the TAC it just starts and stops. I've checked what other people have recommended in other post, such as checking the configuration on the TAC navigating to command line and making sure it is pointing to the folder the custom component is on. I've also made sure that under project settings the custom component is moved to the shared components list with Talend Data Management Platform. I've look to see if all the jars are being included in the zip file it generates on the job server and it looks fine. The only discrepancy I noticed was that the .java file it is generating is different than the one on my local machine. From my observations it looks like something within the java jet is not working correctly.

FYI this is a copy of TFileInputExcel, I just added a line to ignore hidden cells. Like I said it works fine on my local machine, but it does not work when deploying it. It will only output 1 row with no errors.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin 

• Talend Administration Console
  • Talend Job Server
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Five Stars

Re: Custom Component not working on TAC

We finally figured it out.

We started by simply cloning tFileInputExcel and created a custom component from that base and added code to ignore hidden rows. In the Talend Studio everything worked as desired. When we deployed to our QA environment and used the commandline to build the job - everything generated fine but the job produced a blank file every time. What we finally noticed was that the custom component we built never got loaded into the .JETEmitters folder and the generated java code was therefore incomplete. We never received any errors when building the job - but obviously the build process on the commandline broke down.

The issue came down to one line of code in the "...begin.javajet". The line below worked in the Talend Studio when building our job - but on the commandline - with this as a custom component - it would not build properly. To get around this - we simply copied the "templates" folder to our custom component folder; re-generated the job and the commandline build the job correctly and our customer version of tFileInputExcel we built to allow us to ignore hidden rows works great now. 

%>
<%@ include file="../templates/Log4j/Log4jFileUtil.javajet"%>

<%

6 REPLIES

Hello,

Which is custom component you are using? On which build version you got this issue? Is there any error message in TAC log when you deploy your custom component through TAC?

Best regards

Sabrina

--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
Four Stars

I'm using build version 6.1.1.20170222_1038_patch

Also, there is no errors. Like I've mentioned for some reason the .java file that is created is missing a lot of data. 

Five Stars

In testing to see why this is happening - we have tried everything. We even have created a custom component from the base tFileInputExcel component - no changes other than the component name - and deployed that to the custom component folder on the TAC's commandline structure; started and stopped the commandline; and the job generates fine and executes - but produces an empty file every time. If we run the same job with the regular tFileInputExcel component - we process 1341 rows as expected. Using that base component as a custom component is simply not deploying as it should. It runs great in the local studio on my windows machine - but we deploy to the commandline and generate and we get nothing. It has to be a related excel jar file missing or something like that. In order to ignore hidden rows we'll need a customer component - but we can't even make this work when we create the custom component from the base component without changes - which in theory should be easy and work. 

Any ideas what we're missing???

Hi,

It's a little hard for us to address your issue from your description.

With your subscription, could you please create a case on talend support portal so that we can give you a remote assistance(webex) through support cycle with priority.

Best regards

Sabrina

--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
Five Stars

We finally figured it out.

We started by simply cloning tFileInputExcel and created a custom component from that base and added code to ignore hidden rows. In the Talend Studio everything worked as desired. When we deployed to our QA environment and used the commandline to build the job - everything generated fine but the job produced a blank file every time. What we finally noticed was that the custom component we built never got loaded into the .JETEmitters folder and the generated java code was therefore incomplete. We never received any errors when building the job - but obviously the build process on the commandline broke down.

The issue came down to one line of code in the "...begin.javajet". The line below worked in the Talend Studio when building our job - but on the commandline - with this as a custom component - it would not build properly. To get around this - we simply copied the "templates" folder to our custom component folder; re-generated the job and the commandline build the job correctly and our customer version of tFileInputExcel we built to allow us to ignore hidden rows works great now. 

%>
<%@ include file="../templates/Log4j/Log4jFileUtil.javajet"%>

<%

Hello,

Great your issue has been fixed. Feel free to let us know if there is any further help we can give.

Best regards

Sabrina

--