Loading Excel files directly

Hi,
i was asked if Talend MDM would be an alternative to a proposal were i am working at the moment.
would it be able to define a table in MDM (i know we can) and also use this definition to download an Excel with/without data.
- modify this data
- load back into MDM
similar to what once MS performance point did and now SharePoint is doing?

thanks,

Nicolas

6 REPLIES

Re: Loading Excel files directly

do i need to explain this further?
Employee

Hello,
The answer is YES.
You can import/export Excel files with data in/from Talend MDM.
Regards

tweber,
i appreciate that we can use Talend ETL for im/ex port of Excel data into MDM.
however, i am interested in finding out if MDM allows users to download an Excel, use it 'off-line' by adding and deleting data - potentially adding columns to it and then reload this file and MDM being able to manage data changes as well as structure changes.
it would be fantastic to have MDM managing data changes alone.
does that clarify the question?
thanks,
Highlighted
Employee

Hi,
I would not recommend this use of Talend MDM, since continuing editing master data in Excel spreadsheets is not what you want to do in an MDM project. Moreover, trying to import data directly from Excel files does not give you the opportunity to perform additional data quality controls, enable workflow management of data or deal with rejects (with a dedicated output and tasks creation).
Having said that, from a more technical perspective, here is what Talend MDM can do:
1) export Excel files from the Web UI with the "Reporting" menu which also gives the users the opportunity to define their own reports
2) upload CSV or Excel files from the Web UI and validate the data with the data model (format and business rules)
To conclude, I would say that YES, you can do that but NO, I would not recommend to do so (because it is not what you expect from an MDM/data governance/data quality project).
Regards

thanks tweber
i appreciate the complication that arise from allowing users to download and upload Excel files.
but i will have a look into MDM and see if it fits our requirements.
with regards,
One Star

I am trying for the grouping hierarchy in MDM without using the foreign key relation .Can any one let me know how to proceed.

Thanks,
Sruthinivas