One Star

Print or Export the Analysis Results of Open Profiler Column Analysis?

How to print or save the analysis results?

• Data Quality
23 REPLIES
Employee

Re: Print or Export the Analysis Results of Open Profiler Column Analysis?

Hi Stone,
these two functionalities are only available in the subscription offering Talend Data Quality. See http://www.talend.com/products-data-quality/talend-data-quality.php
Please contact "info(at)talend.com" for more information.
One Star

Whoa...
Before I spend time and effort learning a new app (no matter how nice it may be) I want to make sure I know what I'm getting into.
Is this a true open source application or do I have to pay for it? Even worse, is this one of those apps that is "free", but to get all the needed funtionality I have to pay for it? For the purporse of this discussion let's limit the focus to printing and/or exporting.
Employee

Hi mickeyd,
Talend Open Profiler is fully open source (GPL license) and you don't have to pay for it.
You may check out the sources at http://talendforge.org/svn/top/ and some libraries dependencies at http://talendforge.org/svn/tos/ or simply browse them at http://www.talendforge.org/trac/top/
Now the printing functionality is not part of Talend Open Profiler, but you can still write your own if you don't want to subscribe to our extended offerings because you have access to the sources.
The printing functionality is part of larger application (Talend Data Quality) which stores every analysis in a database in order to monitoring data quality. These functionalities are not free (and are not part of Talend Open Profiler).
One Star

I need to print reports. I went to your site to see how much the Quality app is, and could find no price. How much is it?
Employee

Please, contact sales@talend.com
One Star

I'd say this is where Talend are shooting their own feet off a bit as the product is much more like old-fashioned crippleware than modern OS. This is in stark contrast to TOS which is really usable in its own right. With TOP you can run the analyses and then without being able to save, export or print the results (which are plainly visible on the screen) you cannot pass the information to anyone else even in an intermediate format - this destroys almost all the value of the product IMHO Smiley Sad
You can't even use Snagit to capture the scrolling page...
T
Employee

Like for Talend Open Studio, you'll need the enterprise edition to benefit the collaborative features.
About the impossibility to use snagit to capture the page, it's not intended.
You may report a bug issue and we'll work on it to fix it.
One Star

I'd still say this is a poor judgment of what is a "collaborative feature" and what is an essential function to make the product meet the miniumum useful standard. My own feeling is not to invest too much time in TOP because of this limitation - maybe just use it for early data discovery stuff and then move onto something that isn't just digging a hole Smiley Sad It just reminds me of those trial progs where you cannot save or print - they are useless in real world use.
The issue with Snagit I think is to do with the Java windowing - you can capture the basic screen but you cannot get it to scroll the window automatically like you can with web pages to capture the whole page.
T
One Star

I've also tried TOP, quickly discovered this sad feature and deleted the tool. I think it discourages from using talends solutions in general because You never know what surprising limitations the open source versions might have.
Employee

I don't understand what you're saying. Are you saying that non open source solutions are better because their versions are not limited?

No they are saying that without print or save features, even as open source, TOP does not meet their needs:
you cannot pass the information to anyone else even in an intermediate format - this destroys almost all the value of the product

Without these features the product is not useful and cannot be used like TOS-- there is no way to "try before you buy" because everything is limited to a single session and a single client.
Providing the save and export features in TOP would allow people to use TOP in enterprise work. Without this feature, TOP is so limited that it is not a viable product. TDQ is viable, but you've got to pay-- and there is no way of investigating that viability without doing so first.
We all understand that Talend needs to provide incentives to upgrade to TDQ; but in my opinion adding the DQ portal, the shared repository, and Talend Administrator is more than enough to convince business to commit if they plan on rolling out any large implementation of TDQ.
Relax the save and export restrictions and I think you will see a larger adoption of TOP across the community.
One Star

No they are saying that without print or save features, even as open source, TOP does not meet their needs:
you cannot pass the information to anyone else even in an intermediate format - this destroys almost all the value of the product

Without these features the product is not useful and cannot be used like TOS-- there is no way to "try before you buy" because everything is limited to a single session and a single client.
Providing the save and export features in TOP would allow people to use TOP in enterprise work. Without this feature, TOP is so limited that it is not a viable product. TDQ is viable, but you've got to pay-- and there is no way of investigating that viability without doing so first.
We all understand that Talend needs to provide incentives to upgrade to TDQ; but in my opinion adding the DQ portal, the shared repository, and Talend Administrator is more than enough to convince business to commit if they plan on rolling out any large implementation of TDQ.
Relax the save and export restrictions and I think you will see a larger adoption of TOP across the community.

Well said. I second that.
Employee

thanks for the clarification.
We'll have internal discussions about this topic this year...
Stay tuned.
One Star

The Talent Open Source Data Profiler (TOP) does NOT have the ability to export data profiling results. This makes the product completely useless in my opinion. What's the point of going to the considerable effort to set up, configure and profile the data when the results are locked up in the application.
Is there any update on the export functionality?
One Star

I am going to have to agree with this entire thread. I just ran a column analysis that took 4.5 hrs and now I have no way to save the results. I had been bragging about the tool to co-workers but at this point, I am looking at uninstalling it. I will consider its use as well as other talend products in the future if you see fit to add Print/Save feature to the 'OS' product. The tool is of no use to me if I cannot share findings that it generates.
Employee

Hi,
Notice that the results are saved locally in your project. It is always possible to import and export your analyses.
You don't need to run them again in order to access to the saved results, just switch to "analysis results" tab if you want to see them.
One Star

I am posting NOT to flame the fires of "the lack of Saving and Printing in Talend Open Profiler" discussion. I have a proposal. I know that an unrestricted Save/Print capability to not realistic. The tool could be downloaded and used to access many enterprise databases, generate the results and the exercise is done. The data at this point would provide a significant business benefit. Talend would receive nothing for their efforts. Which they should given their investment.
Talend please consider the following alternative or something like it. Add a stand alone the Save/Print capability to Open Profiler. It would allow the user to do a full analysis on all tables/schemas but only Save/Print a very limited view.
For example, the user could run Open Profiler against a corporation's entire EDW. Allow all the results to be displayed on the screen (current functionality.) However, limit Save/Print to one table from one schema. In this scenario the full potential of the product is clearly demonstrated without a complete analysis being captured with Save/Print capability.
Talend Corp. I implore you to act quickly. You opened the door with the "Free Download"/"Free Proflier" advertisement verbiage on your web site and other marketing materials. The current situation is just staining your good name and the potential sales of the rest of your wonderful product suite. I work with IT and business buyers and influencers of ETL/MDM/Etc. products. This one thing (Save/Print) almost always poisons the well for you.
Employee

Hi Tavo,
I'll inform the decision makers about your proposal.
for your information, there is now an offering called Talend Entreprise Profiler.
This offering is not free but it's less expensive than the full Data Quality suite.
thanks again for your suggestion.
One Star

after one year , Talend did not add print and save functions
i dont recomand this tool to people for the simple reason that it's useless if we cant show the result of analysis to others
i deleted talend from my pc and my mind and recomand people if they have to pay for something , there are much more powerfull tools
One Star

Talend is powerfull and I agree with what was said here. However I recommend SQL Power Architect to profile data and CSV exports.
One Star

Where on the Talend website, in the manual or anywhere does Talend tell you that you cannot print, cannot export, cannot download, cannot copy, cannot use the output of the Data Quality tool unless you buy a license of some kind?
I spent over an hour configuring and running analyses to find that the pages of results cannot be used to implement anything because I can't sort, sift and build action plans based on pages of pictures.
I am extremely frustrated with the lack of honesty and hiding the truth from people.
Tell people what their options are Before they go to the trouble.
One Star

Where on the Talend website, in the manual or anywhere does Talend tell you that you cannot print, cannot export, cannot download, cannot copy, cannot use the output of the Data Quality tool unless you buy a license of some kind?
I spent over an hour configuring and running analyses to find that the pages of results cannot be used to implement anything because I can't sort, sift and build action plans based on pages of pictures.
I am extremely frustrated with the lack of honesty and hiding the truth from people.
Tell people what their options are Before they go to the trouble.

All of the above x10 - incredibly frustrated and now I've got to pick up another tool.
One Star

Any update now on Sharing Analysis report in Talend Data Quality? Iam madly in need of it.