[resolved] What kind of change can I do with the cells I imported ?

One Star

[resolved] What kind of change can I do with the cells I imported ?

Hello, 
I try to master the Talend data preparation software .
Is it possible to edit cells by : 
- By simply writing within ?
- Summing two columns ? (I can concatenate, but i also would like to sum the values wich are inside the columns) 
- Making other kind of operations ? 
If it's possible, I don't know how to do it with the functions
When I permute two columns, this change is not added to the recipe, isn't it ? 
What are the software limits? 
Thank you for your attention. 

Employee

Re: [resolved] What kind of change can I do with the cells I imported ?

- Editing a cell: sure! just double click on the cell. Hit enter to commit the change or Esc to cancel. Bear in mind everything you do adds a step in the recipe (left panel) so editing a cell is no exception: it simply generates a "replace" function. Also check out the checkbox "apply to all" when you edit in a cell. It will automatically extend the replacement to all cells with the same original value throughout the column.
- Summing too cols or other kind of operations: you have a point that "sum" is not found when you search for functions (in the 'find a function' field, top of the function list). And neither is "operation". We should add those 2 keywords in our search index. The function exists though, it is called: "Add, Multiply, Subtract or Divide".
- Columns order: no it's not captured in the recipe. I kind of agree it should though. Something we probably will look into.
- Software limits: the main limit is explained in my post here https://www.talendforge.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=48262
One Star

Thank you very much ctoum . 
I have an other question : 
I added two columns with your function, but the result is that when I do this, I get 3 columns (the two firsts, and a third one which is the "result column" . So I deleted the two firsts columns, and I think that this is not an action which is accepted by the softawre : Now it's impossible to open my recipe. 
Is it possible to make an operation and then remove the columns we use ?
Thank you for your attention . 
Employee

Strange that you can't open the preparation after deleting the columns. This is totally allowed and should work.
Any chance you would share a sample of your data and a reproduceable scenario with us? This is a public forum but you could send us details about this issue directly at: dataprep@talend.com
thanks!

What’s New for Talend Spring ’19

Watch the recorded webinar!

Watch Now

Definitive Guide to Data Quality

Create systems and workflow to manage clean data ingestion and data transformation.

Download

Tutorial

Introduction to Talend Open Studio for Data Integration.

Watch

Downloads and Trials

Test drive Talend's enterprise products.

Downloads