Where is my data physically? Is it local or on a Talend server?

Highlighted
Employee

Where is my data physically? Is it local or on a Talend server?

We get this question a lot: when I add a dataset in Data Preparation, what happens with the data. Is it copied somewhere (on the desktop, on a server, or on the cloud)? Is it stored in a readable format or encrypted?
Talend Data Prep Free Desktop is meant to work 100% locally on your computer, your data does not go anywhere. In fact you usually don’t even need to be connected to the network to run the software.
When you add a new dataset from a local CSV or Excel file, the data is copied in a specific, unreadable format, in one of the following folders:

Windows: C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Talend\dataprep\store
OS X: /Users//Library/Application Support/Talend/dataprep/store

When you add a new dataset from a remote location (typically HTTP) however, the data remains where it is and Data Prep must be connected to read the data.
In the upcoming commercial add-on, imported CSV and XLS files will be stored on an on-premise server, and may be encrypted.
In the future, we will also offer cloud delivery models, but this will be an option, and by no mean a mandatory architecture.

Seven Stars

Re: Where is my data physically? Is it local or on a Talend server?

Hello Octum,

Referring to the point "In the upcoming commercial add-on, imported CSV and XLS files will be stored on an on-premise server, and may be encrypted."  can you please elaborate if the programmer will have the ability to choose the file path or is it going to be handled by the Talend, because if the programmer do not know where the file has been copied, he will loose the ability to reconcile errors if any. If he knows, then how does Talend ensure that not everyone will have access to every folder/file on that Server, how is access controlled to these folders/files.

Thanks

2019 GARNER MAGIC QUADRANT FOR DATA INTEGRATION TOOL

Talend named a Leader.

Get your copy

OPEN STUDIO FOR DATA INTEGRATION

Kickstart your first data integration and ETL projects.

Download now

What’s New for Talend Summer ’19

Watch the recorded webinar!

Watch Now

Why Companies Move to the Cloud: 7 Success Stories

Learn how and why companies are moving to the Cloud

Read Now

Agile Data lakes & Analytics

Accelerate your data lake projects with an agile approach

Watch

Definitive Guide to Data Quality

Create systems and workflow to manage clean data ingestion and data transformation.

Download