Using reference project best practices.

One Star

Using reference project best practices.

Hi
I am using a reference project in two different projects. Before I go to production, I'd like to know the best practices for the usage of a reference project.
As in,
1) after reference project is built and tested, would i tag it and then have the referencing project pull from the tag?
2) How do I set context variables? I tried emptying the context variable values in the reference project and check the transmit whole context on the referenced-subjob inside the referencing projects job. But it seems like at that point I can't
Please pass along any information I can use
Also, unrelated to the reference projects, when I run a job with multiple subjobs, do i need to set the version on each of the subjobs or is there some other way this can be acheived?
Thanks
Amritha.
Four Stars

Re: Using reference project best practices.

Usually
- A version is fixed for all the jobs and items inside the project at fixed number... This becomes easy for identification
- Usually all the variables are categorized at Context Group, job level context variables, environment variables, global variables etc...
- A property file with required variable is used in main job which is loaded and tContextLaod is used to make all the variables available to all the jobs
- Transmit whole context is enabled on all the subjobs...
Vaibhav
One Star

Hi Vaibhav,
Thanks for your response, i need some further clarification,
1) "A version is fixed for all the jobs and items inside the project at fixed number... This becomes easy for identification" - is that something that I/developer would set up or does the parent job just pick a version (based on the version number set on the trunjob that runs the subjob within the parent job which is set to 'Latest' by default - which means the parent job always picks the latest version of the subjob.)
2) "A property file with required variable is used in main job which is loaded and tContextLaod is used to make all the variables available to all the jobs" - just to make sure i understand what you mean, lets take an example -
a) there is a reference project named R that has a job named r1
b) there is a referencing project named A that references R and uses r1 within its jobs a1.
c) r1 needs property p1
R has a context variable p1 - context.p1
A & B also each have a context variable named p1 within their own contexts.
And we use a tContextLoad to load p1 value in a1 and transmit whole context so that r1 has access to the correct value. Is this correct?
3) Could you please point me to some resources for best practices for using reference projects (eg: after reference project is built and tested, would i tag it and then have the referencing project pull from the tag?)
Thanks.
Am
Four Stars

Hi Am,
1) Project Manager or team lead, would set the values of all the versions of job at the particular release level
tRunJob would/should always pickup latest except some exceptional situations.
2) Correct
3) Not aware of any development practices, but as you said it in point no.3, is the right way to do it
Thanks
Vaibhav
One Star

Can I use a reference project in the Data Profiling Perspective? We have all our Library objects on a shared space and have various projects using the Library for Data analysis. How do we reference such objects.