One Star

Teradata: Table columns not exposed in TOP 4.2.1

I've created a connection to a Teradata database. I have successfully executed schema and table overview reports. However, when I expand the DQ Repository tree to the column level there are no columns displayed. I've executed the Reload Column List without effect. When I execute the Column Compare function I get the message "left roots of diff model is empty". I do return data when I select the Preview Table function. Any ideas on why I don't see any columns?
4 REPLIES
Employee

Re: Teradata: Table columns not exposed in TOP 4.2.1

Could you open the Error Log view and see if there is an error message appearing when you expand the column tree?
One Star

I see the error listed here:
2011-06-10 13:27:27,507 ERROR org.talend.core.model.metadata.DBConnectionFillerImpl - com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.util.JDBCException: The user does not have SELECT access to DBC.UDTInfo.
In searching posts I see that this is a known issue. I'm new to Teradata and not that familiar with the Data Dictionary tables yet but it seems to me that the Talend query to retrieve column information should be on the DBC.Columns table/view. Why is DBC.UDTInfo being queried?
Employee

I don't have the answer, but my guess is that you did an overview analysis which retrieved all the metadata of the connection down to the table level.
Then when unfolding the columns, this error appears because you don't have the required permissions.
Can you answer the following 2 questions, please:
1. do you have the same problem (no visible column) with a table on which you have select permissions?
2. Can you create another connection to the same database and try to unfold down to the columns (without running an overview analysis before)? Can you access your columns?
One Star

We convinced our DBA to grant SELECT privilege on DBC.UDTInfo. This resolved the issue. However, I'm still wondering why this access is needed as UDTInfo is an empty user defined table.