How do I filter out rows where a column contains a quote symbol (")

Six Stars

How do I filter out rows where a column contains a quote symbol (")

Hi folks,

I'm trying to set up a filter in tMap input that removes rows where a string column contains a quote symbol in the string (").  And also removes rows where the email is blank.

My attempt at this expression looks like this:

row1.UMB_Student_Email != null && !row1.Permanent_Street.contains("\"")

But I keep getting an error that says "Exception in thread "main" java.lang.Error: Unresolved compilation problems:"

And I can't tell where I'm going wrong.

Can you help?

Accepted Solutions
Five Stars

Re: How do I filter out rows where a column contains a quote symbol (")

The source value may be a blank instead of null. tweak your statement like below and should work.

!("").equals(row1.UMB_Student_Email) && !row1.Permanent_Street.contains("\"")

Thanks & Regards

Naveen

Thanks & Regards
Naveen

All Replies
Five Stars

The source value may be a blank instead of null. tweak your statement like below and should work.

!("").equals(row1.UMB_Student_Email) && !row1.Permanent_Street.contains("\"")

Thanks & Regards

Naveen

Thanks & Regards
Naveen
Six Stars

My apologies it took so long to test and reply.

I tried the code and still get the error.

I agree that the email should have been checked as a string, but I think the Permanent_Street (address field) is the culprit, where I'm trying to check whether the string in that field contains a quote (") in the string itself.

I'm not confident my code that is checking for the quote (") is right but I cant find what is the right combination no matter how hard I google.

Six Stars

Actually.. I'm sorry Naveen.  The code seems to work when I add test variables, but without the variables it still produces the error in the test window. And the red box error at the end of the expression scroll-bar is always there. I'm not sure whats going on, but I'm rolling with it.