One Star

Database Connection Error

In trying to establish database connection using the Talen Open Profiler we keep getting an error message when the host name is supplied. We are trying to connect to a MS SQL Server database and using two different set ups we get the same error message. Check Connections; Check connection failure: Unknown server host name "TRN-TS1\Training
We are stumped, assistance greatly appreciated.

12 REPLIES
Employee

Re: Database Connection Error

Could you list here the fields that you entered in the connection wizard (or a screenshot of the wizard)?
The double quote " and the "\Training" seem strange.
One Star

The double quote was not part of the values. We changed the host name to the following: 192.47.23.1/Training and we still got the same error. I had the network administrator test this out as well on a separate server that is used to successfully connect to the database for other applications and we still got the same error message. So we are stumped and believe that there must be some setting in the configuration that we are not correctly setting.
One Star

we also tried the following as well: 172.22.10.7\training with another database and we got the same error message.
Here is what we are trying to do. We have a lot of consultants in the field and we want to provide training on Talend for them remotely. If you can provide us the means to do so, I would greatly appreciate it. The database we were trying to connect to is a training database with readily supplied data for which we can use in the training.
Employee

Just to be sure: in your connection wizard, the "hostname" field contains "192.47.23.1" and the DBname contains "Training".
The url looks like this: "jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://192.47.23.1:1433;DatabaseName=Training".
Is it correct?
Have you enabled TCP/IP networking in the MS SQL server?
Also have a look at this thread: 4017. It seems that you may need to pass the instance name in additional JDBC parameters
One Star

The database name is not Training, rather it is REAL and the host name name is TRN-TS1\Training
I will double check the url
One Star

Host Name:172.22.10.7\Training
Port:3268
DBName: REAL_Warehouse_Sample_V6
Additional JDBC Parameters : noDatetimeStringSync=true
URL: jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://172.22.10.7\Training:3268;DatabaseName=REAL_Warehouse_Sample_V6;noDatetimeStringSync=true

Here is the full context of the input information that is supplied.
Employee

Hi,
"\Training" is not part of the hostname (see Wikipedia).
RFCs mandate that a hostname's labels may contain only the ASCII letters 'a' through 'z' (case-insensitive), the digits '0' through '9', and the hyphen. Hostname labels cannot begin or end with a hyphen. No other symbols, punctuation characters, or blank spaces are permitted.

Training is an instance name. You must use the "additional parameters" field instead:
Additional Parameters: instance=Training

(see post http://talendforge.org/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=16042#p16042)
this should result in the following jdbc string:
jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://172.22.10.7:3268;DatabaseName=REAL_Warehouse_Sample_V6;noDatetimeStringSync=true;instance=Training

Try this and let us know whether it works.
One Star

I tried that setting and I got another error message that the user cannot be identified. This is due to the fact that I only have access to 172.22.10.7\Training. Once I remove the Training from the host name, the connection thinks I am trying to get to the root host, that I do not have permissions to access.
Employee

Hi,
I cannot reproduce your issue.
I have created a named instance on SQL Server 2005 and a user for this instance. I was able to connect to the instance with the given user.
I have tried to connect to the default instance with that user, it failed (as expected).
If you still have the problem, I suggest that you report a bugtrack with all the details about your SQL Server configuration (authentication method, user permissions, TCP/IP enabled? ...).
One Star

under sql server configuration monitor:
1run sql server browser
2 enable TCP/IP protocol
One Star

i have a problem connecting to mssql using odbc. The error message is "Database connection is failed." The details given is The syntax of the connection URL 'jdbc:jtbc:sqlserver://;/;' is invalid. Obviously the url is empty, but i have filled up the properties accordingly:
Property Type = Repository with DB (ODBC)Smiley SurprisedDBC_MSSQL2005
Datasource = 'odbc_xyz'
Username = 'xyz'
Password = 'xyz'
any help is welcome, thanks
hawston
Employee

Hi hawston,
ODBC connection is not supported yet (5327 ). You should use a JDBC connection.