Four Stars

Talend Data Integration Job Metadata Browsing in Talend Metadata Manager

Hi All,

When I harvest Talend DI job within Talend Metadata Manager, I can view very detailed information regarding database connections, job designs, runnable jobs and summary content. Having said that, when I view the same job within Talend Metadata Explorer, the details are very limited in 6.2 version.

I was wondering as technical user if this is an expected behavior on Talend Metadata Explorer view?

Thanks,

Vivek

• Talend Metadata Manager
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Employee

Re: Talend Data Integration Job Metadata Browsing in Talend Metadata Manager

Hi Vivek!

First as you call out, Talend® Metadata Manager (TMM) provides two primary user interfaces for access.

• The Metadata Manager UI provides a more technical interface for those who are managers of the metadata or administrators of the repository.
  • The vast majority of users would generally only see and interact with the Metadata Explorer UI. This UI is designed for optimized search, analysis and reporting.

I also see you have mentioned you are on TMM version 6.2.  The difference in the expected level of detail on Talend DI job metadata within Manager vs. Explorer  is indeed expected behavior in that version.  In previous versions (e.g., 6.2 as you are currently on) the browsing (open) and full detailed data flow lineage of any data integration models (DI/ETL/ELT and SQL scripts jobs) were already available in the Metadata Manager (and still are).

However, I do encourage you to look at an upgrade to TMM Version 6.4.  There are significant enhancements and changes across the board.  Specifically to your question, there have been significant changes in regard to Data Integration Browsing and Lineage for the business users in the Metadata Explorer UI, allowing them to browse the data integration jobs (from DI/ETL/ELT tools as well as SQL Scripts) and analyze the summary data flow lineage of their execution.

Best Regards,

Cindy

I never metadata I didn't like!
1 REPLY
Employee

Re: Talend Data Integration Job Metadata Browsing in Talend Metadata Manager

Hi Vivek!

First as you call out, Talend® Metadata Manager (TMM) provides two primary user interfaces for access.

• The Metadata Manager UI provides a more technical interface for those who are managers of the metadata or administrators of the repository.
  • The vast majority of users would generally only see and interact with the Metadata Explorer UI. This UI is designed for optimized search, analysis and reporting.

I also see you have mentioned you are on TMM version 6.2.  The difference in the expected level of detail on Talend DI job metadata within Manager vs. Explorer  is indeed expected behavior in that version.  In previous versions (e.g., 6.2 as you are currently on) the browsing (open) and full detailed data flow lineage of any data integration models (DI/ETL/ELT and SQL scripts jobs) were already available in the Metadata Manager (and still are).

However, I do encourage you to look at an upgrade to TMM Version 6.4.  There are significant enhancements and changes across the board.  Specifically to your question, there have been significant changes in regard to Data Integration Browsing and Lineage for the business users in the Metadata Explorer UI, allowing them to browse the data integration jobs (from DI/ETL/ELT tools as well as SQL Scripts) and analyze the summary data flow lineage of their execution.

Best Regards,

Cindy

I never metadata I didn't like!