Create a simple input component that extracts email-information

Highlighted
Four Stars

Create a simple input component that extracts email-information

Hello there!

I want to create a job which

1. reads several information (subject, from-address, receivedate and message-id) of all e-mails in a specific (configurable) directory of an exchange mailbox
  2. execute an insert - sql - statement
  3. move this e-mails in an other folder of this mailbox

I followed several tutorials developing an input component with the jdk without success ...

For step one, I want to have an input component like "tFileList" for example with several output parameters in the "outline" window in the Studio so that I can drag&drop the information of the email in the next component for example. I figured out that components like tFilelist are written in javajet and not as a java-component. Do I have to do it in javajet?

Employee

Re: Create a simple input component that extracts email-information

Hi,

As far as I understand, you want to create a studio job. Which version of studio do you use ?

I guess you don't have to create a new component, but just using existing ones. So, you don't mind if they are in javajet  or in new tck framework, right ?

First, how will you retrieve needed information 'subject, from-address, receivedate and message-id', are they in files'name ? Or you have to read the content of all that files ? tFileList will only retrieve a list of file base on some filter. We have some components to extract data from files, but it depends the format .

Thanks for feedback,

Best regards,

Yves

Four Stars

Hi Yves,

I am sure that I will have to write a new component.

To retrieve the data (subject, from-address, receivedate and message-id) I must connect to an exchange mailserver with javamail,

list all mails in a folder and extract this information. Then give it to the next component for further processing.

Employee

Hello,

I will suggest you first to try to create a job with tPOP and tFileInputMail components:

tPOP will allow you to retrieve mails using imap protocol specifying the mail folder. You will be able to iterate on retrieved emails that will be stored locally in a folder (iterate output & CURRENT_FILE outline).

tpop.jpg

Then after you can use tFileInputMail to extract desired data. I let you have a look on following documentation: https://help.talend.com/reader/PlbIAg24kZezc_V9qgX6vA/BSqifFxZNRMnQwJAuMUuHw

If you want to create a new connector, you will have to do it within javajet if you use a studio before 7.1. From this version, you can use the new framework : https://talend.github.io/component-runtime/main/1.1.6/index.html

Which is you studio target version ?

Best regards,

Yves

2019 GARNER MAGIC QUADRANT FOR DATA INTEGRATION TOOL

Talend named a Leader.

Get your copy

OPEN STUDIO FOR DATA INTEGRATION

Kickstart your first data integration and ETL projects.

Download now

What’s New for Talend Summer ’19

Watch the recorded webinar!

Watch Now

Agile Data lakes & Analytics

Accelerate your data lake projects with an agile approach

Watch

Definitive Guide to Data Quality

Create systems and workflow to manage clean data ingestion and data transformation.

Download

Tutorial

Introduction to Talend Open Studio for Data Integration.

Watch