[resolved] Generation Engine initialization fails after move to TOS 4.1.2

One Star

[resolved] Generation Engine initialization fails after move to TOS 4.1.2

I have been using TOS 3.1.1 (with a Perl project) for the past year+, it's been working fine.
For various reasons, I decided to migrate to 4.1.2. The migration seemed to go fine, but it suddenly started failing during "Generation engine initialization". Exporting job scripts is also failing, with an error message, "Failed to generate code."
Fortunately, I had saved my workspace/ directory.
Unfortunately, when I run 3.1.1 on the saved workspace/ directory, it still fails with the same failure during "Generation engine initialization".
Anobody have any suggestions? Help needed urgently; thanks in advance. It looks like there is something that has changed outside of the workspace/ directory, but I can't figure out what that might be.
I am including the contents of workspace/.metadata/.log here:
==========
!ENTRY org.talend.libraries 4 0 2011-07-19 13:53:03.302
!MESSAGE 2011-07-19 13:53:03,298 ERROR org.talend.commons.exception.ExceptionHandler - Failed to generate code.
!STACK 0
org.talend.designer.runprocess.ProcessorException: Failed to generate code.
at org.talend.designer.runprocess.perl.PerlProcessor.generateCode(Unknown Source)
at org.talend.designer.runprocess.ProcessorUtilities.generateCode(Unknown Source)
at org.talend.designer.runprocess.ProcessorUtilities.generateCode(Unknown Source)
at org.talend.repository.ui.wizards.exportjob.scriptsmanager.JobScriptsManager.generateJobFiles(Unknown Source)
at org.talend.repository.ui.wizards.exportjob.scriptsmanager.JobPerlScriptsManager.getExportResources(Unknown Source)
at org.talend.repository.ui.wizards.exportjob.JobScriptsExportWizardPage.getExportResources(Unknown Source)
at org.talend.repository.ui.wizards.exportjob.JobScriptsExportWizardPage.exportJobScript(Unknown Source)
at org.talend.repository.ui.wizards.exportjob.JobScriptsExportWizardPage.access$4(Unknown Source)
at org.talend.repository.ui.wizards.exportjob.JobScriptsExportWizardPage$6.run(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext.runInCurrentThread(ModalContext.java:464)
at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext.run(ModalContext.java:372)
at org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.ProgressMonitorDialog.run(ProgressMonitorDialog.java:507)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.progress.ProgressMonitorJobsDialog.run(ProgressMonitorJobsDialog.java:275)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.progress.ProgressManager.run(ProgressManager.java:1178)
at org.talend.repository.ui.wizards.exportjob.JobScriptsExportWizardPage.finish(Unknown Source)
at org.talend.repository.ui.wizards.exportjob.JobScriptsExportWizard.performFinish(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.jface.wizard.WizardDialog.finishPressed(WizardDialog.java:752)
at org.eclipse.jface.wizard.WizardDialog.buttonPressed(WizardDialog.java:373)
at org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.Dialog$2.widgetSelected(Dialog.java:624)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:228)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1176)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3493)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3112)
at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.runEventLoop(Window.java:825)
at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.open(Window.java:801)
at org.talend.repository.ui.actions.ExportJobScriptAction.doRun(Unknown Source)
at org.talend.repository.ui.actions.AContextualAction$2.run(Unknown Source)
at org.talend.repository.RepositoryWorkUnit.executeRun(Unknown Source)
at org.talend.repository.model.AbstractRepositoryFactory.executeRepositoryWorkUnit(Unknown Source)
at org.talend.repository.localprovider.model.LocalRepositoryFactory.executeRepositoryWorkUnit(Unknown Source)
at org.talend.repository.model.ProxyRepositoryFactory.executeRepositoryWorkUnit(Unknown Source)
at org.talend.repository.ui.actions.AContextualAction.run(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.jface.action.Action.runWithEvent(Action.java:498)
at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidgetSelection(ActionContributionItem.java:584)
at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.access$2(ActionContributionItem.java:501)
at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem$5.handleEvent(ActionContributionItem.java:411)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1176)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3493)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3112)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:2405)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2369)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:2221)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$5.run(Workbench.java:500)
at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:493)
at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
at org.talend.rcp.intro.Application.start(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:194)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:368)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:559)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:514)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1311)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1287)
Caused by: org.talend.designer.codegen.exception.CodeGeneratorException: JET initialisation Time Out
at org.talend.designer.codegen.CodeGenerator.generateProcessCode(Unknown Source)
... 62 more
Tags (1)

Accepted Solutions
One Star

Re: [resolved] Generation Engine initialization fails after move to TOS 4.1.2

Found a solution! I was searching for java.lang.NullPointerException, and found this response (from you, as it turns out), in another posting. Since my TOS installation had not been touched, I only needed steps 2-4. TOS is working fine now.
If you can't the studio any more, install a new studio and import all items include jobs from old workspace of studio. To do:
1. Install a new studio to a new folder. Note that, don't remove the old studio before you restore all the items!
2. Open a new project in the new studio.
3. Right click on the Job Designs, and select 'Import items' option.
4. Select 'select root directory' option and browse the old workspace/project_name folder, and now you will see all items in the items list, select all and finish by clicking on 'finish' button.

Best regards
Shong
Email:shong@talend.com
Choose Talend, Enjoy Talend!
New & Event: Talend launches Talend Cloud June 2011
Talend-->the leader of open source data management and application integration solutions!
Regards,
--
Mohan

All Replies
Community Manager

Hi
How do you migrate your projects to v4.1.2? Import existing projects into local or import items?
Best regards
Shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business
One Star

I migrated my project by making a backup copy of the workspace/ directory, then starting TOS 4.1.2 in the parent directory of workspace/. TOS took care of migrating the project, and I was immediately able to bring up the Designer and start working on the flow.
My bigger problem right now is that even TOS 3.1.1 has stopped generating code. This feels like something else going on; I restored the original workspace/ (from before the migration) and tried 3.1.1 on it, and the generation engine still fails at startup.
One more piece of info that might help figure out what?s going on: currently, when I click on any TOS component in my job, it comes back with a dialog box saying:
Generation Engine Initialization in progress?
An internal error occurred duing ?Generation Engine initialization in progress??.
Java.lang.NullPointerException
Thanks,
--
Mohan
One Star

Found a solution! I was searching for java.lang.NullPointerException, and found this response (from you, as it turns out), in another posting. Since my TOS installation had not been touched, I only needed steps 2-4. TOS is working fine now.
If you can't the studio any more, install a new studio and import all items include jobs from old workspace of studio. To do:
1. Install a new studio to a new folder. Note that, don't remove the old studio before you restore all the items!
2. Open a new project in the new studio.
3. Right click on the Job Designs, and select 'Import items' option.
4. Select 'select root directory' option and browse the old workspace/project_name folder, and now you will see all items in the items list, select all and finish by clicking on 'finish' button.

Best regards
Shong
Email:shong@talend.com
Choose Talend, Enjoy Talend!
New & Event: Talend launches Talend Cloud June 2011
Talend-->the leader of open source data management and application integration solutions!
Regards,
--
Mohan
Community Manager

Hi Mohan
Cool! Thanks for your feedback.Smiley Wink
Best regards
Shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business
One Star

Hi All,
I,m getting the following error when in talend 5.2.2 
generation engine initialization in progress... . java.lang.nullpointerexception.
I have tried deleting the project aswell as the Talend and re-installing it again but nothing works.
Also i'm using jdk 1.7 version. Please suggest a solution.
Thanks.