accent problem with jdbc Oracle connection

One Star

accent problem with jdbc Oracle connection

hi,
I use a jdbc Oracle connection in a tDbInbut
The accent seem disappear in my output Row. for exemple 'é' become 'e'. (but if i run my query in the SQL Builder, accents are ok )
I think its a encoding problem.
Do you have a idea ?
thanks
PS : I try to change the encoding in the field 'encoding' on the tDbInput Properties but it doesn't change anything
Tags (1)
Employee

Re: accent problem with jdbc Oracle connection

Note: in a tDBInput, you don't use a JDBC connection, but Perl DBI connector.
Where does the data come from? (which encoding), where do they go? (which encoding)
One Star

Data come from a VARCHAR field in a Oracle Table, the encoding used is UTF-8 (the Oracle NLS_CHARACTERSET parameter has "AL32UTF8" Value)
My output is a text File. For moment, the encoding of the text file is not important, i just want to distinct 'é' and 'e' characters in this file.
When i open the text file in hexa mode both caracters 'é' and 'e' have been replace by '65' value.
(I try to change the Encoding parameter of the tFileOutputDelimited ( 'ISO-8859-15' or 'utf-8'))
Employee

After many tries, I think I can give some tips :-)
The very first thing you have to make sure of is the value of the environment parameter NLS_LANG. If you want to retrieve UTF-8 data, you have to say that NLS_LANG equals AMERICAN_AMERICA.AL32UTF8. In a tPerl before anything else, put the following code:
$ENV{NLS_LANG} = 'AMERICAN_AMERICA.AL32UTF8';

This first operation should avoid conversion to ASCII characters.
There are other tips (I think I'll write a blog ticket or a wiki page about this), but let's try them one by one.
One Star

Great !
it works!
plegall says : >there are other tips (I think I'll write a blog ticket or a wiki page about this),
I am interested if you have some explanations about this :-)

Thanks a lot
Employee

I am interested if you have some explanations about this :-)

You might be interested in my last blog ticket Oracle to file in UTF-8, with Perl