Talend vs Pentaho

One Star

Talend vs Pentaho

Hi,
I am currently using Pentaho for my work. Does anybody know the key differences (architecture, functionalities...) between Talend and Pentaho ETL Engine (Kettle).
Thanks,
Tags (1)
One Star

Re: Talend vs Pentaho

- Both open source
- All steps that are available in, will become available in the other... or so it seems ;-) E.g. PDI has a denormalizer/normalizer, Talend will have one in the future (looking at the roadmap of new components, ...)
- Both can be extended if you really want to.
- Both are pretty stable, and have a broad userbase. They will stay alive for some time.
Differences:
- Main difference is that Talend generates code while Kettle doesn't. Talend should in theory be a bit faster as Kettle because of this, although tests with the new 3.0 show they come pretty close qua speed. The advantage of Kettle is that you never have outdated ETL as the jobs are interpreted, not generated/compiled.
- Talend uses Eclipse as GUI, PDI uses SWT (which Eclipse uses). Depending on how you look at it both have advantages/disadvantages. PDI has a more different look and feel for Eclipse users, but PDI will have less problems with Eclipse versions/upgrades.
- Talend is based on perl (now also supports java, but generation is still with perl)
- Installation for Talend is a bit more difficult than Kettle, for me at least. I got Talend working but it took some time.
One Star

- Does anybody have any link about performance comparision of the twos? PDI version 3.0 has some serious improvement in performance, in the blogs it said some steps can be more than 10 times faster.
- Antoher issuse is security, PDI using Jetty and Talend uses Tom Cat for their container(?). Does it make any differences about security and start up time?
Thanks,
One Star

If you are interested in a comparative between Talend Open Studio and Pentaho Data Integration (Kettle), you can read this post in my blog:
http://churriwifi.wordpress.com/2010/06/01/comparing-talend-open-studio-and-pentaho-data-integration...
One Star

?Integration of Pentaho with Liferay? Looking for input on this..
Thanks,
Srini
One Star

Employee

Hi Roberto, Thank you for posting the link on the forum and once again, thanks a lot for the comparison.
Best,
Pcoffre.