Small NLS_LANG issue

Highlighted
One Star

Small NLS_LANG issue

Could somebody explain, why do we have the following lines of code in generated perl script for Talend/Oracle connection? I don't want to set any NLS during connection, I want to use the default one. And even if I would like one - why do we only have 2 types of NLS lines here? We don't use UTF8 or ISO8859 in our environment at all. I have to manually comment it out every time I run the script on my linux box, or have to override the NLS settings to something else, like 'NO_NLS' in open studio. Can we have an option in the environment to skip NLS by default and not worry about changing any NLS settings? If I'll need to change NLS - I'll just change my environment variable "NLS_LANG" before running my Talend scripts
if (XXXXXXX =~ m/^utf-?8$/i) {
$ENV{NLS_LANG} = 'AMERICAN_AMERICA.AL32UTF8';
}
elsif (XXXXXXXXX =~ m/^iso-?8859-?1$/i) {
$ENV{NLS_LANG} = 'AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1';
}
Employee

Re: Small NLS_LANG issue

Could somebody explain, why do we have the following lines of code in generated perl script for Talend/Oracle connection?

I think you timson have understood the purpose of these Perl instructions, but for other readers : it's about telling the database server what is the encoding of the characters sent by the client.
I don't want to set any NLS during connection, I want to use the default one. I'll just change my environment variable "NLS_LANG" before running my Talend scripts

All right, I understand your vision :-) You may also understand that "manually" setting the NLS_LANG environment variable is not as user friendly as setting the encoding at the Talend Open Studio job connection level.
What would you think of :
if (not defined $ENV{NLS_LANG}) {
# set the NLS_LANG environment variable depending on the encoding
# the user has chosen in the GUI
}

In addition to this it would be useful to make obvious the fact that even if the user has chosen an encoding, it may not be used if the NLS_LANG is already set, so a checkbox "override any existing NLS_LANG environment variable" in the "Advanced settings" tab, uncheked by default.
Your opinion on this?
One Star

This is a great idea! I already like it Smiley Happy
But... I have a couple of concerns...
First. What if I want to skip the NLS_LANG definition? For example, the script might work with NLS_LANG set to some value on some development environment, but fail in the production just because NLS_LANG is incorrect. In 90% of my applications I just want to leave it undefined and don't bother setting it up.
So this is how I envision the ideal scenario:
1) If NLS_LANG is defined in the Environment - don't touch it
2) By default it should be undefined in open studio as well as in generated script and should remain undefined UNLESS I explicitly want to change it in Open Studio.
3) So if it's undefined in the environment and in the script - don't do anything
4) If it's defined in Open Studio AND in the environment - I would prefer the script variable to take precedence. Well... I am not 100% sure about that, we can discuss it.
Another big concern about this NLS_LANG code:
let's say - I want to change the value of the NLS_LANG variable to: FRENCH_FRANCE.UTF8 and manually set it as a custom value
The following code
if (XXXXXXX =~ m/^utf-?8$/i) {
$ENV{NLS_LANG} = 'AMERICAN_AMERICA.AL32UTF8';
}
elsif (XXXXXXXXX =~ m/^iso-?8859-?1$/i) {
$ENV{NLS_LANG} = 'AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1';
}
will match it with the 1st regex (because we have UTF8 in our line) and actually convert the value to 'AMERICAN_AMERICA.AL32UTF8'! that's why I asked you what is the purpose of the code - why can't we just leave the value as it is defined by the user in Open Studio.
Let me know if I am thinking in the right direction, or maybe I am missing something here? I really appreciate your answers!
Here is the document that helped me to go through the NLS_LANG issues:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/globalization/htdocs/nls_lang%20faq.htm#_Toc110410546
Employee

let's say - I want to change the value of the NLS_LANG variable to: FRENCH_FRANCE.UTF8 and manually set it as a custom value

In that case, you use a tSetEnv with 'NLS_LANG' as key and 'FRENCH_FRANCE.UTF8' as value. Then you disable in the tOracle* the "override any existing NLS_LANG environment variable" option, so that you're sure that anywhat the Encoding is set to, it won't update the NLS_LANG environment variable.
What's "complex" with Oracle is that NLS_LANG does not only set the encoding, but also the language and the territory. Thanks to your link on Oracle documentation, I've understood that I could set the NLS_LAND to ".AL32UTF8", language and territory will be set based on NLS_LANGUAGE and NLS_TERRITORY. Maybe I should skip the language and territory information.
You're also right that what a user set as custom encoding should be used "as is" in the $ENV{NLS_LANG}.
Summary of proposed changes:
- don't set language/territory in $ENV{NLS_LANG}
- option "override any existing NLS_LANG environment variable", unchecked by default
- when the encoding is "CUSTOM", then it's use "as is" to set $ENV{NLS_LANG}
One Star

In that case, you use a tSetEnv with 'NLS_LANG' as key and 'FRENCH_FRANCE.UTF8' as value. Then you disable in the tOracle* the "override any existing NLS_LANG environment variable" option, so that you're sure that anywhat the Encoding is set to, it won't update the NLS_LANG environment variable.
What's "complex" with Oracle is that NLS_LANG does not only set the encoding, but also the language and the territory. Thanks to your link on Oracle documentation, I've understood that I could set the NLS_LAND to ".AL32UTF8", language and territory will be set based on NLS_LANGUAGE and NLS_TERRITORY. Maybe I should skip the language and territory information.
You're also right that what a user set as custom encoding should be used "as is" in the $ENV{NLS_LANG}.
Summary of proposed changes:
- don't set language/territory in $ENV{NLS_LANG}
- option "override any existing NLS_LANG environment variable", unchecked by default
- when the encoding is "CUSTOM", then it's use "as is" to set $ENV{NLS_LANG}
Thank you! great summary - you nailed it Smiley Happy
Employee

I have reported 4927
One Star

Could somebody explain, why do we have the following lines of code in generated perl script for Talend/Oracle connection?

I think you timson have understood the purpose of these Perl instructions, but for other readers : it's about telling the database server what is the encoding of the characters sent by the client.
I don't want to set any NLS during connection, I want to use the default one. I'll just change my environment variable "NLS_LANG" before running my Talend scripts

All right, I understand your vision :-) You may also understand that "manually" setting the NLS_LANG environment variable is not as user friendly as setting the encoding at the Talend Open Studio job connection level.
What would you think of :
if (not defined $ENV{NLS_LANG}) {
# set the NLS_LANG environment variable depending on the encoding
# the user has chosen in the GUI
}

In addition to this it would be useful to make obvious the fact that even if the user has chosen an encoding, it may not be used if the NLS_LANG is already set, so a checkbox "override any existing NLS_LANG environment variable" in the "Advanced settings" tab, uncheked by default.
Your opinion on this?
thank you!

2019 GARNER MAGIC QUADRANT FOR DATA INTEGRATION TOOL

Talend named a Leader.

Get your copy

OPEN STUDIO FOR DATA INTEGRATION

Kickstart your first data integration and ETL projects.

Download now

What’s New for Talend Summer ’19

Watch the recorded webinar!

Watch Now

Best Practices for Using Context Variables with Talend – Part 4

Pick up some tips and tricks with Context Variables

Blog

How Media Organizations Achieved Success with Data Integration

Learn how media organizations have achieved success with Data Integration

Read

Definitive Guide to Data Integration

Practical steps to developing your data integration strategy.

Download