Processing output of "tSystem"

One Star

Processing output of "tSystem"

Hello,
I often have to do a query at the command line and processing the result.
Actual I do the following steps:
1. Delete possible existing temp-files
2. Execute the command via tSystem and pipe the output into a temporary file
3. Open the file with TFileInput* and handle the data
4. Delete the tempFile
Ist there better solution for this? I saw that it is possible to fetch the output of tSystem to a global variable. Can I use this variable as Input for TFileInput*?
Alternatively is it possible to create from the global variable a data stream (convert the (string?)-variable into a hash/list(?) with tPerl for example)?
Volker
Tags (1)
Employee

Re: Processing output of "tSystem"

You current solution (reading the produced file with tFileInputDelimited) is fine in my opinion. But as you suggest, there are many ways to do it.
Can I use this variable as Input for TFileInput*?

No, you can't.
Alternatively is it possible to create from the global variable a data stream (convert the (string?)-variable into a hash/list(?) with tPerl for example)?

Yes, I suppose you can create a list from the tSystem output variable. It depends a lot on your Perl skill level and the output variable format.
To read the list, I use the tArrayIn invisible component (make it visible by checking the option in the TOS preferences). My tPerl contains:
our @lines = (
);

My job output is:
Starting job TEMP7 at 09:49 10/07/2007.
.---------------------.
| tLogRow_1 |
+----+----------+-----+
| id | username | age |
+----+----------+-----+
| 1 | plegall | 26 |
| 2 | fbonan | 36 |
| 3 | jgottero | 21 |
'----+----------+-----'
Job TEMP7 ended at 09:49 10/07/2007.
One Star

Is this component (tArrayIn) available in 2.1.0RC1? I cant find any option to activate ist.
I found a different solution myself (thanks for the "perl-tip"): I tried to pipe the output in the open command like the example shown in the picture below.
But it seems that the generated code adds the fixed mode "<" to the open command.
open($input_FH_tFileInputDelimited_1, '<', $desc_tFileInputDelimited_1{filename})

Is this necessary? Or could it be changed to a option (with mapping list in the gui)?
Bye
Volker
One Star

Hi plegall,
I found the option for showing the hidden components in Talend 2.1.0 (without RC). I'll try it next time. Are there any special things to know If I use them? Like lower stability, possibly not available in the next release, and so on?
Concerning my suggestion to allow to parse the output of a system command / program. Should I open a feauture request? Additional it may be possible to take the logic to read a file (or system command) into a independent module and connect them. But this may be a bigger change to Talend.
Example: (tFileInput | tCommandExecute | ... ) -> (tInputXml | tInputPositional | ...)
With this solution I could solve another problem: Sometimes I have to change files before I could use them. For example make same changes to well form a file to use it with tFileXmlInput. Actual I read it with tFileInputPositional, transform it with tPerlRow and write it back with tFileOutputPositional into a temporary file. This file is pocessed by tFileInputXml.
Altogether creating, writing, deleting temporary files is one of my main tasks. Maybe creating a module to handle them, could be another way...
Bye
Volker