Negative Row Count value

Highlighted
One Star

Negative Row Count value

Why do I sometimes get a negative value for the Row Count indicator when I perform a Column Analysis?

Re: Negative Row Count value

Hi,

Could you please elaborate your case with an example with input and expected output values?

Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
One Star

I created a Column Analysis for a table. I selected the "Row Count" indicator for one of the columns. When I run the analysis, I get a negative value for the Row Count (for example: -1779393279). I would never expect to see a negative result for any indicator (Null Count, Row Count, etc.), only a positive value.

We are on Talend 5.2.2 and Oracle 11g.
Employee

Hi lgannon,

can you tell us what a "select count(*) " returns?
This looks like a bug. I suggest you to declare an issue in https://jira.talendforge.org/
One Star

I was able to reproduce the issue again today. I did a Row Count analysis on a table column. The value that was persisted to the database was -343669013. The actual count(*) was 3951565615.

After further analysis, it seems that if the counts are large numbers (ie. greater than 9 or 10 digits), I see a negative value. I suspect this has something to do with the way Talend is defining the column lengths and data types in the table schema for TDQ_INDICATOR_VALUE.

I will submit a Jira for this.
Employee

Does this appear only in the generated report? Or does it also appear in the analysis editor of the studio?

2019 GARNER MAGIC QUADRANT FOR DATA INTEGRATION TOOL

Talend named a Leader.

Get your copy

OPEN STUDIO FOR DATA INTEGRATION

Kickstart your first data integration and ETL projects.

Download now

What’s New for Talend Summer ’19

Watch the recorded webinar!

Watch Now

Enabling Data Governance

Learn how to enable Data Governance

Watch Now

The Definitive Guide to Government Data Quality

Take a peek at the definitive guide to Government Data Quality

Read