Debugger not working - PadWalker and Perl installation issue

One Star

Debugger not working - PadWalker and Perl installation issue

Hello,
When I have a very simple job process set up, I want to see the debugger working, so I click the Debug button instead of the normal run button. Instead of seeing each row come through and seeing the contents at each step as I saw in the demos, the Eclipse Perspective changes to a Debug perspective (which notably adds a Run menu after the Help menu) and I get an error saying:
"EPIC Error"
"***Error displaying Local Variables****"
"Install PadWalker on your Perl system or disable displaying of local variables"
I don't know Perl, so I Google EPIC and find http://e-p-i-c.sourceforge.net/main.html where I see that EPIC is the IDE for Perl in Eclipse. There is a some pretty badly documented explanation of how to download PadWalker (whatever that is) and talk of the different versions of ActiveState (which I thought was a company that re-distributes Perl and not something that has versions). So I download PadWalker Module for ActiveState 5.8.1 or higher and explode the downloaded Zip into my Perl install at d:\Perl. I close Talend Open Studio, re-open it and re-debug.
Same sort of thing only now I have a different error message:
"perl.exe - Unable To Locate DLL"
"The dynamic link library perl58.dll could not be found in the specified path"
Followed by a long path including notably:
"D:\Perl\site\lib\auto\PadWalker"
I don't know Perl. I would like some pointers here.
Michael
Tags (1)

Accepted Solutions
Employee

Re: Debugger not working - PadWalker and Perl installation issue

Knowing perl but a newbie at TOS, I suggest there might be a problem with my database calls with DBI.
Any suggestions on what might be wrong and where to go from here?

Yes it's a DBI problem. Can you create a new topic and describe your problem (with some screenshots of your job, it makes things much simpler for us)

All Replies
One Star

michael,
I had the same problem. what I did was the following:
- make sure you have a connection to the internet
- open a DOS box
- type: ppm install PadWalker
- the system will install the relevant file(s)
ppm is the perl package manager. it will take care of where to get the PadWalker file.
you can also type "ppm" only and get a user interface for the package manager. under linux unix this might look different.
rgds,
uwe
One Star

Thanks Uwe, that worked and now debugging works fine even if I have a Run menu after the Help menu.
Michael
One Star

Thanks Uwe!
However I think that Michael was looking for the Trace mode and not the debug mode.
To activate the trace mode, just check the "Traces" checkbox on the right of the Run panel...
Regards,
Fabrice
One Star

I had the same problem only my first indication was an error on 'run':
Can't call method "prepare"
When I ran the debugger I got the Padwalker missing error. I followed your instructions and loaded using ppm.
When I rerun the code I am still getting <i>Can't call method prepare</i>
Knowing perl but a newbie at TOS, I suggest there might be a problem with my database calls with DBI.
Maryjane
Employee

Yes it's a DBI problem. Can you create a new topic and describe your problem (with some screenshots of your job, it makes things much simpler for us)
One Star

I created a new post and used the Perl Demo as the example. I will try to get a screenshot if needed. Thanks,
Maryjane