Five Stars

TAC task stuck in "Requesting run..." - deadlock victim

Community,

Hoping for some insight as to my latest issue.  I jumped on PROD to deploy a breakfix for one of my client's projects and noticed that one of the Execution tasks was stuck on "Requesting run..." and had last run 5 days ago.  This particular task is based on a file trigger and probably gets executed ~50-75 times per day.  I downloaded the log and noticed the following error:

2017-09-14 12:08:57 ERROR ErrorLogger  - An error occured while scanning for the next trigger to fire.
org.quartz.JobPersistenceException: Couldn't acquire next trigger: Couldn't retrieve trigger: Transaction (Process ID 80) was deadlocked on 
lock resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction. [See nested exception:
org.quartz.JobPersistenceException: Couldn't retrieve trigger: Transaction (Process ID 80) was deadlocked on lock resources with another
process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction. [See nested exception: java.sql.SQLException: Transaction
(Process ID 80) was deadlocked on lock resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction.]] at org.quartz.impl.jdbcjobstore.JobStoreSupport.acquireNextTrigger(JobStoreSupport.java:2785) at org.quartz.impl.jdbcjobstore.JobStoreSupport$36.execute(JobStoreSupport.java:2728) at org.quartz.impl.jdbcjobstore.JobStoreSupport.executeInNonManagedTXLock(JobStoreSupport.java:3742) at org.quartz.impl.jdbcjobstore.JobStoreSupport.acquireNextTrigger(JobStoreSupport.java:2724) at org.quartz.core.QuartzSchedulerThread.run(QuartzSchedulerThread.java:263)

So, obviously something has happened the DB side (SQL Server) to cause a lock or timeout, but there seems to be no way to recover this task.  I can't kill it because it immediately throws this error: org.talend.exception.BusinessException: executionTask.locked2.

Ultimately, I had to restart the TAC and everything is back running as it should.  I would expect some issues between the TAC and SQL Server, but I would also expect some sort of built in recovery mechanism from Talend.  If a third party library is throwing an error, handle it appropriately.  Can anyone offer some insight?

Thanks,

Scott

1 REPLY

Re: TAC task stuck in "Requesting run..." - deadlock victim

Hi,

Could you please indicate on which build version you got this issue?

Here is a jira issue:https://jira.talendforge.org/browse/TMC-1019

Best regards

Sabrina

--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.